by Jonny3
Explorer

Non contract Sim only Roaming in the us

Hi,

I am a SIM only (rolling monthly contract) Orange customer.

I made sure roaming and data roaming were activated before my trip and am currently in the US trying to activate the daily data bundle (£4 per day for 500MB), but when texting "TRAVEL" to 150 as advised I get this message as a response:

"You can get info on the following topics through Text Service by replying with one of these keywords to 150 :
BALANCE, UP, BUNDLES, USAGE, PLAN, CARE, ROAMING, MAGIC, SAFEGUARD, APP and NUMBER.

STOP to 1234 to opt out of Marketing"

The advice on the EE website stated clearly that I could set this up either before leaving or after I arrived in the US and that it included SIM only users.

After further research on this forum it seems that as a non 24 month SIM only contract that I am not entitled to data roaming add ons. Is this correct? I feel I have been a little mislead by incorrect guidance on the EE website.

I just want it to order cabs via Uber at my four city destinations upon arrival and when leaving, without it costing me a fortune. I used my phone to do it for the first time yesterday in San Francisco and in less than a minute on the Uber app it had maxed out the £42 data limit! See the message below:

"You're currently protected by a £42.55 data roaming price cap, you've reached 98% ( £41.70) of that cap based on our standard rates( £8 per MB). To remove the cap text YES to 387"

Based on this and the 8 or so Uber cabs I need to order during my stay this going to cost me approx. £350!!

Can anyone advise me if I can do anything from here in the US to get a data roaming add on?

I may be up the creek without a paddle so this forum is my last resort for a solution. I would ideally like someone at EE to take up my query and help me out.

I will be checking back on this thread as often as I can and whenever I have WIFI, as clearly I can't use my data coverage to view the forum for updates.

Yours hopefully,

Jonathan

Read more

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: Non contract Sim only Roaming in the us

Hello there @Jonny3

Thanks for coming to the community for help.

Is this the Travel Data Pass?

If so this is not available to Orange customers.

Our Roaming page for USA advises Orange customers have two options.

We have a £3.00 option and £10.00 both can be found here by selecting Orange>

Thanks, Leanne.

by Jonny3
Explorer

Hi Leanne,

thanks for your response. Even though the page you provided the link for lists data roaming options available to Orange customers, it eventually tells you the method to accessing them is the same as the Data Travel Pass (I.e text Travel to 150 when in the non EU country of choice). So another way to ask the question is how do I activate the orange £3 or £10 data bundles? The instructions at the link provided do not work for Orange SIM only customers (with a rolling month to month contract).

many thanks, 

jonathan 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jonny3

Thanks for coming back to me.

Did you get a text when you arrived in the USA to activate data bundles?

Do you have a My EE account?

If so can you activate the data add-on through your account?

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.