Highlighted
by Flaxman
Explorer

No service in Malta

Hi. I arrived in Malta today and my phone (iPhone 6S) has been showing 'No Service' all day. I'm an EE pay monthly customer. My account is set up for roaming and roaming is switched on in mobile data settings. 

When Carriers is set to Automatic, none connect. When I turn Automatic carriers off, three networks appear - go mobile; vodafone MT and Melisa. I haven't selected any of these, as I don't know if this will incur extra costs. My phone worked fine on Automatic networks last month in France. 

Is there anything I can do, or anything that can be done to get me properly connected?

Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: No service in Malta

Hi @Flaxman. Have you ever successfully roamed anywhere using this SIM?

There's no harm in manually selecting any network. It'll only register on networks where EE have a relationship so you will not incur any extra charges. It'll either log you on or say it's not allowed.

If you log into MyEE, does it say roaming is enabled under Manage My Device? Have you rebooted your device?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hi @Flaxman. Have you ever successfully roamed anywhere using this SIM?

There's no harm in manually selecting any network. It'll only register on networks where EE have a relationship so you will not incur any extra charges. It'll either log you on or say it's not allowed.

If you log into MyEE, does it say roaming is enabled under Manage My Device? Have you rebooted your device?

View solution in original post

by Flaxman
Explorer

Thanks for replying @chistery

Yes, I've roamed successfully in nany countries with this SIM.

Roaming is enabled under Manage My Device and, yes, I had tried rebooting.

I've manually selected a network and that's has worked, so thanks for confirming.

Interestingly, my wife is on plusnet and had the identical issue. I realise plusnet is also EE, but suggests it might be a EE/Malta issue perhaps.

Anyway, problem solved for now - thanks. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Great news @Flaxman, glad it's working. Malta isn't on the 4G roaming list, so you may be stuck on 3G or the list hasn't been updated and you might get lucky. Sometimes turning off 4G helps when doing automatic searches.

Enjoy Malta!

by Hz123 Investigator
Investigator

Having the same problem and really need signal to get hold of my Mum ?? Help please 

by Hz123 Investigator
Investigator

I need help !! I have no service and really need I get hold of my Mum, nothing works I’ve tried manually setting it and everything just isn’t working please help 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Hz123 and welcome to the community.

Have you used your phone abroad previously?

So I can try and help, please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

Please also can I get you to try and dial a friend or family member using format of 00447********* and try using data. 

Did this work?

Many thanks,

Lee

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Hz123 Just to add, if you have wifi, can you call using whatsapp or facetime or some other app to contact your mum? (not a long term solution I know)

by Hz123 Investigator
Investigator

No I haven’t
And it doesn’t work
Thank you
Hanna

Sent from my iPhone
by Hz123 Investigator
Investigator

Hi none of the following word as I have no service and nothing will work and my mum has a basic phone and doesn’t have WiFi 

thanks hanna 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Hz123

Thank you for coming to see us in the EE community 🙂

Apart from the phone problems you are having, I hope you are having a nice vacation in Malta.

When you are preparing for your trip abroad, it is essential that roaming is activated before you go away.

In order to do this, all the information/set-up instructions can be found in our EE roaming - Getting ready to use your phone abroad support article.

I know on this occasion, you may not have been aware that you needed to do this.  I know it's not working at the moment for you.

However, we can help.

Please take a look at some of the hints, tips and tricks to get activated in our Roaming with EE - What to do if you're having problems abroad support article.

If none of the advice in the support article works, you may have an international bar present.  

This will need account access at this point.

If you can't access this, then please call customer services from an alternative landline or mobile.

Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.