by Toadstool Contributor
Contributor

My 6 month internet booster was cut off for exceeding data limit

I was quite surprised to find that my internet dongle was not working yesterday. I have a payg sim and a dongle that I bought separately. I was already annoyed that I topped up £20 to put the booster on, then was told that I didn't have enough to add the booster because the price had doubled to £40!

Anyway, I have only had the sim 4 months when it ran out yesterday. I knew there was something up, and not the usual network issues, as I have another sim and that worked fine. 

I rung them up and they told me that I had breached the fair use policy several times, so they just cut me off with 2 months to go.

They said that they normally allow you to just browse after you receive notification of the data usage, but because I had exceeded it many times, according to them, they cut me off.

Puzzled because I hadn't done anything different this time, I approached my daughter who had been using dongle and she has been downloading songs and watching youtube videos an awful lot. 

The problem I have, is that these things used to just stop working, once you had reached your usage, the videos would fail to play and you were prevented from consistently exceeding the limit, but for a long while now, our internet access remained unaffected.

There has been no interuption in our normal service for a long time, regardless of usage and videos have still played, despite the notification coming up to say you had reached your limit so I didn't think anything of it.

Despite this still being our fault, I am rather annoyed that EE have allowed me to go over so many times, since I had no idea this was happening, I only use it for light browsing, but it seems my daughter has made full use of it! Four people use this laptop and sometimes other users don't even know the notification has come up to say you are at your limit, unless you are the one using it at the time. 

The lady said that this policy has always been in place, to cut you off, if you consistently go over your limit, but this has never happened to us before and my daughter says this is what she has done for a long time, without incident. Apparently we exceeded the 3gb allowance in 4 months but why were we not prevented from doing so, as you were always prevented from using too much before. Videos would always say, 'unable to load content' and the internet would run really slow once you reached your limit. The connection speeds never changed lately, once the notification came up. It has also always been blue, (3G) it never ever went to green (2G). I really feel that this is not made clear anywhere that you would be cut off, and EE did not restrict me as I went along, month to month. 

Well, I guess I am going to have to watch the usage more closely from now on, if ee aren't going to limit my usage for me, especially since it is £40 now for the 6 month!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: My 6 month internet booster was cut off for exceeding data limit

Good Morning @Toadstool,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

I've had a look at the terms and conditions and I think you may have breached the terms by using the SIM in a dongle.

This booster is specifically for mobile phone plans.

From page 19 of the terms and conditions;

Remember that you can only use internet on your phone in the UK and you can’t use your phone as a modem or use internet on your phone for peer to peer file sharing, instant messaging or making internet phone calls. This Booster comes with a Fair Use Policy of 500MB a calendar month.

You can take a look at our data SIM plans online.

Thanks

James

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Toadstool sorry to hear you are facing problems/confusion with your T-Mobile 6months web booster. Customer service are correct there is and always has been a fair usage limit of 500mb a month totalling 3gb across the 6months. If you go over the limit normally EE(T-Mobile) add speed caps on the line (reducing to 2G speeds) and repeated offences can mean the booster is removed from the account yes. This information can be found in the T-Mobile PAYG terms and conditions using this link (page 18). :):

http://ee.co.uk/content/dam/ee-help/help-pdfs/tm-payg-priceguide-270317-v5.pdf

by Toadstool Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I can see in the link that the pages reference 'restricting usage', but I can't see anything that says they will terminate the booster for repeatedly exceeding the limit.

Seems to contradict what they said here in a piece from the Guardian a while back.

"Customers are notified by SMS when they reach 80% of their FUP amount and again when they reach 100%."

"This functionality means that our customers can always browse text and image based websites and send or receive basic emails. We will never cut them off from communicating with friends and family online and will never charge run-on rates for internet use."

I can certainly understand EE's point about fair usage, and I accept that I have gone over, however, I do not expect to be terminated without notification in the middle of a very busy day, when EE did nothing to restrict my usage. Not once did I get up any other kind of warning, or anything to indicate that I was seriously exceeding the limit each month. EE allowed me to overuse my allowance for four months and then cut me off, instead of restricting my access to some of it's services in order to allow me to browse lightly for the remaining 2 months of my booster.

Highlighted
by
Solution

Good Morning @Toadstool,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

I've had a look at the terms and conditions and I think you may have breached the terms by using the SIM in a dongle.

This booster is specifically for mobile phone plans.

From page 19 of the terms and conditions;

Remember that you can only use internet on your phone in the UK and you can’t use your phone as a modem or use internet on your phone for peer to peer file sharing, instant messaging or making internet phone calls. This Booster comes with a Fair Use Policy of 500MB a calendar month.

You can take a look at our data SIM plans online.

Thanks

James

View solution in original post

by Toadstool Contributor
Contributor

Oh, I had no idead about that, James. I usually buy a 6 month preloaded sim off of sites like ebay and when I searched them, they came up cheper if I buy them through  EE this time as all the sims online had gone up in price. 

No wonder then! If that is the case, I had better watch that in future. That will explain why I never got cut off before because my internet usage has stayed pretty much the same, however, the other sims I used before, where not bought through  EE but off of ebay. I don't know what way the sims are preloaded on ebay but they all state that they can be used in a dongle but they have gone up in price to about £60 which is why I bought it by topping up and buying a booster directly through EE, this time.

Thanks for clearing that up, James. I appreciate that.

by Toadstool Contributor
Contributor

Just had a look at the 6 month internet preloaded sim that I usually buy off of ebay, James. It has 2GB of internet data reset every month for 6 months for that price. No wonder I kept exceeding the limit if the booster I bought from EE was for 500mb a month!

Think I'll go back to getting one off of ebay. I knew I wasn't really doing anything different so I couldn't understand why it was cut off. Maybe I need to apologise to my daughter, seems she didn't use all my data after all! 🙂

by

No problem @Toadstool

Glad we could help. Smiley Happy

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.