by mhb1 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Manufacturer of EE 4G external antenna

Can anyone confirm the origin of the 4 G external antenna now supplied & installed by EE?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Re: Manufacturer of EE 4G external antenna

The antenna is manufactured by Panorama Antennas, datasheet here.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

The antenna is manufactured by Panorama Antennas, datasheet here.

View solution in original post

Established Contributor

Many thanks for this but the datasheet describes the antenna as directional and I thought the EE supplied antenna was omni directional?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The antenna is directional which is why the EE antenna team analyse the person’s area to assess the best direction for it to be aimed by the installation team.
Established Contributor

I see. I could have a problem with it then as I do not have line of site to/from the mast. In fact using the OpenSignal iOS app, I seem to be getting the signal from a reflection off the surrounding hills rather than from the direction of the mast. Presumably this would indicate that an omni directional antenna would be best for my location.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

What is your postcode/one near to you? Opensignal can give rather dubious information due it relying on crowdsourcing.

Established Contributor

SY7 0ER. I thought OpenSignal actually detected the direction of the signal rather than predicting it through  crowd sourcing. If you are correct then my presumption is ill founded.

Highlighted
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've looked into your area and 4G servers will likely be one of the following:

97149 Leinthall LoS

63260 Bucknell ?LoS

63257 Broome  ?LoS

I'd recommend contacting the antenna team. Directional antennas can work well in areas with reflections.

Established Contributor

I believe I am connecting to the Bucknell mast, the nearest by far and the geographic location of which I know precisely. I do not know the significance of the 63260 figure you quote but if it enables you to confirm which mast I am connecting through then Field Test Mode gives Cell ID as 4974594 & Physical Cell ID as 463. I do not know myself how to relate these figures to any particular mast.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The numbers I provided are EE's site IDs. However, they are not related to the cell IDs the site broadcasts. The best thing to do would be to visit Bucknell and observe what field test says as the systems I have access to don't have eNB cell data for that area.

Established Contributor

Unless I can relate the Cell ID to the Bucknell mast I do not see how even accessing Field Data Mode whilst standing alongside it will help in determining that I would be connected to it and not some other mast. A matter of commercial confidentiality I believe though the rational of this is beyond me. Anyhow many thanks for your help in giving me your take on all this. Looks like a 'suck it and see' approach is the best I am going to achieve. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Should be able to relate the PCI for sure. There are some very good crowdsourced mast maps but sadly no data has been collected for your area.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Established Contributor

No Problem and as I say many thanks for taking the time and trouble to discuss.

P.S. sorry for Rational - Rationale typo in last post.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @mhb1

Would it not be far easier to purchase a omni directional 4G antenna which should plug straight into your 4G router? 

Established Contributor

Hi, already have this setup but am looking to improve connection from current 50% (occasionally 75%). 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mhb1

I see @Peter_C has went through this thoroughly with you already and answered your question.

Give us a shout if you have any more.

Chris 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.