by OneMoreBurpee Investigator
Investigator

Leaving TV Service

So, I decided to leave EE TV as I had a much better (totally free) TV offering from my new employer - switched the service and the new one went live yesterday.

The good side is that EE didn't even bother to try to save me - endless chats with agents would've driven me mad.

The bad side is that, despite having taken the TV service since pre-launch internal employee trials, I'm being threatened with a £175 charge if I do not return the TV box in 30 days.  I have no real issue with returning the box apart from the fact that I now have no access to any recorded programmes (as I'm no longer connected to EE Broadband - new BB service also totally free from my new employer).  This "feature" is not made clear anywhere that I have read.

How do I access programmes without an EE BB connection?  Can I 'download' recorded programmes to watch on another device?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Leaving TV Service

It's all in the T&Cs, which as an ex-EE employee you should well know. 

You now have just a Freeview PVR. Once you leave EE BB EE disable all other services. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

That's a very terse reply.  Yes I am an ex-employee who took the service on pre-launch trial terms which were limited by nature and (from memory) made little (if any) reference to service termination.

I note that the terms were amended on 24th January this year (to version 5) - at no point was I notified of this (or any otherprevious ) amendment to the terms (and before you ask, I have active mobile accounts with EE, so no reason why I could not be notified).

I accept that the ability to receive & record broadcasts or access "on demand" services would cease as this makes perfect sense, but to disable access to recorded material seems a little unusual.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @OneMoreBurpee,

Welcome to the EE Community.

The EE TV box remains the property of EE and must be returned after cancellation.

It's not possible to transfer your recordings to another device.

Thanks

James

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@OneMoreBurpee wrote:

That's a very terse reply.  Yes I am an ex-employee who took the service on pre-launch trial terms which were limited by nature and (from memory) made little (if any) reference to service termination.

I note that the terms were amended on 24th January this year (to version 5) - at no point was I notified of this (or any otherprevious ) amendment to the terms (and before you ask, I have active mobile accounts with EE, so no reason why I could not be notified).

I accept that the ability to receive & record broadcasts or access "on demand" services would cease as this makes perfect sense, but to disable access to recorded material seems a little unusual.

What is the problem here?  Just post the box back?  Everything was free and yet you seem to be beefing about the fine print even though it is you that have chosen to leave to a different supplier.

Investigator

If by free, you include a £23.50 monthly charge then yes, I wouldn't beef about this.

The fact is that the T&Cs in this area are at best vague and do not explain exactly what will happen when services are cancelled.

As I have said, I'm more than happy to return the equipment within the 30 days.  I don't want to receive streamed or on demand services (as I'm now getting these FoC from a new provider), I just want to watch the progs I have recorded up to service cancellation...not an unreasonable request in my opinion.  

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

If you wish to terminate then it is upto you to watch the programmes before you stop paying for the service. 

Investigator

You make a valid observation.

I have paid for a month's service in advance - this period is still active and I have not received a credit, therefore I should have access to my recorded progs at least until the end of the current period.

Thoughts?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Send the box back, move on.  Life's too short to search the T&Cs to catch EE out on small print. You had a contract that you cancelled and the broadband service for which the contact is for ( not the EETV Box) has finished.

Investigator

But not too short to enter into a pointless conversation?  I've always found if you have nothing useful or constructve to say it is better to say nothing.  Perhaps a tenet you could adopt.

Bye.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's to the point, with no flannel, as you saw fit to remark on it.

It is likely that the T&Cs were revised not to your detriment as they are still much the same as they ever were and thus EE need not notify you. As you intended cancelling it would be sensible to check the T&Cs beforehand so you knew your obligations.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.