by Ktkev Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Keeping number

So we have ascertained the 5 c is too small (only 5gb storage out of 8gb) can you tell me the next phone I should get as contract expires in may and can I trade in this underused 5c and how much will I get for it against a new iPhone 5s / 6 

15 REPLIES 15
Established Contributor

iPhone 5s

I'm looking to upgrade, the iPhone 5c I have is 8gb (less 3 gb) for their unmovable apps = 5 gb but I'm running out of storage I have 8 photos, no music/ films / videos and to be honest I feel I've been ripped off  EE said 8 gb but it's only 5gb.. so how much storage does 5s have that I can use and is there much difference in 5s & 6 . I also need home bband so to be honest I'll doubt if I'll stay with EE .. but I'm just looking at the moment 👍👍

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Re: iPhone 5s

Hello @Ktkev all devices are the same OS files eat up the advertised storage for iOS, Windows, Android & Tizen.

EE sell the 5S with 16gb storage:

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/iphone-5s-16gb-silver/details

EE do not stock the 6. The next one up is the 6S starting with 32gb. :):

http://shop.ee.co.uk/mobile-phones/pay-monthly/iphone-6s-32gb-space-grey/details?WT.MC_ID=ON_MEC_S_M...

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ktkev  EE don't make the device so how can you say that EE ripped you off you decided to have that device.  Apple make the iPhone and the operating system has to go on the device this will eat into the storage of the device so having a device with a small amount of storage will give you even smaller amount of usable storage by the time the operating system is on the device.  

What apps do you have on the device?  As you say you have no photos/Music/films so you have other items using that storage. 

Established Contributor

Thanks I know EE don't make iPhone 5c   .... buy they never told me I only get 5gb  imagine if I sold you a 4 door car ... but you could only open 2 .. your the experts you say 8 gb then I would like 8 gb or at least 7-7 1/2....

Established Contributor

Thanks I know EE don't make iPhone 5c   .... buy they never told me I only get 5gb  imagine if I sold you a 4 door car ... but you could only open 2 .. your the experts you say 8 gb then I would like 8 gb or at least 7-7 1/2....

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ktkev  The OS has to go on that storage.   If you get a 8 gig device you will alway have storage issue if you don't know how to manage that space,   Apple also no longer make any iPhone with 8Gb since they stopped production of the 5c and they all start with 32GB.  Apple have only just up the minimum capacity from 16Gb. 

There is no point in complaining about that storage capacity as you got this on your own free will and it was with your price range if you didn't know about storage capacity then you could of done a google search about what size would be best for you.  And iCloud storage stores more than photos. 

The more storage the higher the cost.  But as I've said apple have now changed the minimum capacity to 32GB and the price point has stayed the same as 16Gb.  

And I wouldn't purchase a car without checking out what's what first.  If the doors didn't open as I would check first I wouldn't purchase it.   If I didn't check and purchase it than that's my fault. 

Established Contributor

Your not wrong but I do expect some honesty from EE. Your the experts the sales team could have told that out of this 8 gb , 5 gb is all I can use then I would have gone for some other device .. you must bear in mind not all of us are expert like you and I did tell the sales team that my knowledge of iPhones is minimal... I asked how much storage they said 8 gb .. yep that's big enough for me ... but now it's only 5 gb ... so when I get another phone with 16/32 gb ... how much do I really get ...

Established Contributor

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ktkev  If you get an iPhone 32GB you'll be looking around 28GB usable storage.  

I've just looked at the Mrs iPhone 6s which is a 16GB she gets 12.34GB of storage.  At present she has around 3.5GB of storage left. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ktkev  Do you use Facebook?  If you do go to Settings>>General>Storage and ICloud usage>Select Manage Storage under Storage.   And and there it will show you what apps are using what storage.  

Facebook on my device takes up 421.2MB of space that's getting on for half a GB.  

Established Contributor

Keeping number

So we have ascertained the 5 c is too small (only 5gb storage out of 8gb) can you tell me the next phone I should get as contract expires in may and can I trade in this underused 5c and how much will I get for it against a new iPhone 5s / 6 and can I keep same number 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Keeping number

Click here to see iPhone

If you like the size of the iPhone 5c you can get an iPhone SE which starts at 32 GB or EE are now doing an eye phone 5S with an Apple TV 4

the SE is better than the 5s

Or if you want a larger screen size you can have the iPhone 6s or even possibly the iPhone 6s Plus after that it's the iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus obviously these are getting more and more expensive 

use the link above to see the different options and the costs.   Don't forget you can change the tariffs to increase/decrease the monthly tariff but don't forget the cheaper the tariff the more you have to pay up front for the device. 

Established Contributor

Thanks for your info but from 16gb down to 12gb is still a big loss don't you think 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's the size of the OS.  It will only get bigger when Apple add more features. I remember when I got the first iPhone and the OS only took just over 1GB of data.     But the thing is the iPhone SE and iPhone 6s start at 32GB now not 16GB.  

Established Contributor

Re: Keeping number

Thanks all your the experts it looks like I'll have to get another bloody phone maybe iPhone 6  Emm I'll look around at what company is doing the best deal Emm I'll start looking at different companies 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.