by LesleyF Investigator
Investigator

I have 4GEE Home router, doesn't work with Firestick, other devices OK?

I've got 4GEE home router, it loses connection to internet only on Amazon Fire TV Stick. If I connect on my old broadband and then switch to 4GEE router it works ok (I still have my broadband connection for a few days). If I switch off/on or I go into Network settings my Firestick loses connection to internet, it connects to router ok but then can't connect further to internet. Any help appreciated, thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I have 4GEE Home router, doesn't work with Firestick, other devices OK?

There are numerous reports that these MBB routers don't work with Amazon Firesticks. Can't think why. They are just routers like any other.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX it's the WiFi . These firesticks are really fussy when it comes to WiFi strength and it's likely the WiFi signal strength which is the issue. 

@LesleyF have you got the white 4G EE box? Can you try moving it closer to your TV/firestick. Have you also set the firestick up correctly to your new EE device Inc setting the password.

Please also check Amazon troubleshooting guide.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner: These Firesticks must be v. fussy. My Roku Streaming Stick picks up my WiFi all the way across these house & upstairs from the router.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XRaySpeX gave mine away. Plus I upgraded my TV. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by LesleyF Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Northerner or @XRaySpeX Can you think why the Firestick works if I have first connected via broadband but loses connection when I switch Firestick off.  It seems like if another router has paved the way it can work? Thanks Lesley

by si_b
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem.

I can connect the firestick to the 4GEE home router wifi network, but the network status  says 'connected with problems' and when you try to go'home' on the firestick, it tells me Home is not available because you are not connected to the internet.

The strange thing is, if I hold the firestick remote home button down, go to apps, open BBC iplayer, I can watch anything on there, but not access any of the Amazon content.

Another thing i noticed is that if i download my VPN app and open that, all the amazon contect works perfectly. Possibly a problem with the IP addresses that the EE router assigns?

I spent an hour on the phone to Amazon this morning with no resolution. They suggested it is a problem with the router, especially as I can use my mobile phone (also on EE) as a personal hotspot and the firestick works a treat.

Extremely frustrating!

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@si_b: It would appear the Firesticks are know to have problems connecting to WiFi correctly.

I just did a quick Google search "Firestick connected with problems" and a forum post from Virgin Media appears. It would appear there are a lot of problems on a lot of forums. Smiley Frustrated

by si_b
Explorer

That may be the case, but I have 2 firesticks, both of which worked fine over wifi with my previous 2 broadband providers.

As soon as I try to use the 4GEE home router, the problems start. I even bought a new firestick yesterday to test and that has the same problem.

I can even connect them to my neighbours wifi and my mobile phone hotspot with no issues - just the 4GEE home router.

by GreatW
Visitor

Hi all,

I have just been through the same pain of the Firestick dropping off the internet and I have found a solution.

Note that I can only confirm this works with the home router as that is teh device I have.

So what you need to do is connect to your router with a browser and log in to the admin screen. The default IP is 192.168.1.1

From there sellect the settings tab from the top and in the left collumn, select Setup, then Data Connection.

In the page that is displayed, there is dropdown that gives an option for IPv4, IPV6 or IPV46 (i.e both).

Set this to IPV4 and all is well. It will tell you to disconnect from teh internet in teh popup box, but go for it, the change gets applied and all my Firesticks now work fine.

Once that was all done, just pointed teh Firesticks to the WIFI network and low and behold, it all worked

It also appears to have fixed an intermittant VPN issue I was having, so I am a happy camper.

by
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your solution, @GreatW.

I'm sure your advice will help others in the same situation.

As a thank you for sharing your solution, I'd love to send you a little treat from the community team. 🙂

Spot prize.jpg

I've sent you a private message. Please take a look and get back to me with your details.

Thanks

Chris 🙂

by DTitmus Investigator
Investigator

I cant find where to change the Ipv4 or Ipv6.

I can see it but it doesnt give me the option to change it ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DTitmus: You have to disconnect from the Net 1st before you can change anything.

by DTitmus Investigator
Investigator

But i need to be connected to.the 4gee mini for me to be able to log into the 192.168.1.1 page..where i change it ?

How do i do it without being connected ? 🙂

Thanks lots in advance

by DTitmus Investigator
Investigator

How do i do it whilst not being connected to the net ?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's right. You stay connected to the router by WiFi. You just disconnect it from the Internet. There's a setting on it to do that. Then you change the IPv4 setting & then reconnect to the Net. Those are 2 separate connections on any router. Example from a diff MBB router:

Capture.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@DTitmus wrote:

But i need to be connected to.the 4gee mini

Ah, this discussion is about the 4GEE Home Router not the 4GEE Mini. I doubt you can change to IPv4 on the 4GEE Mini anymore than I can on an Osprey Mini, but I think they're already on IPv4.

What does it show as the WAN IP addy?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.