by BWBellairs Investigator
Investigator

I found you could access router's page via external ip. Can that be disabled?

Hi, I was setting up a virtual webserver in my home network and realised I could access my router' log in page via my external ip. I'm wondering if that can be disabled as I'd rather not have to worry about that being exposed.

EDIT:

The router is an EE BrightBox v2

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: I found you could access router's page via external ip. Can that be disabled

I think I've fixed it. The webserver is a virtual machine running on my personal PC and is listed as a separate device via a virtual bridged adapter. I just put it's IP into the DMZ section of my router so all inbound packets from anywhere outside the local network (e.g. website requests) go through that virtual machine. This worked. I also shut down the virtual machine and you still can't access the router's login page via my external IP now. Thanks for all the help btw 😄

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: I found you could access router's page via external ip. Can that be disabled

From where are you accessing it? From your own LAN or outside? If only the former, it's not a risk.

I can't do this from anywhere on my BB2.

In setting up your virtual webserver have you opened Port 80? If so, that will be the reason.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

I'm accessing from both. Inside for development and outside for release. I've opened up on port 5000 (I know this isn't a usual www port but I felt like doing this anyway :P)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well, somehow you seemed to have opened Port 80 or maybe 8080. Maybe the software you are using for your web server is opening them. Check out its default settings & change them.

Try Shields UP! -- Internet Connection Security Analysis under its "User-Specified Custom Port Probe" to probe ports 80, 8080, 5000.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

The test returned negative but I'm still worried as the router is exposed and could be hacked. (You can never take the risk)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Does "Negative" mean Stealth or Closed? There is a diff which that site explains.

Investigator

The site returned "The eqquipment at the target IP address
Did not respond to our uPnP Probes"

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Never seen that. It's usually a table of ports.

Investigator

Just did it again. Something went wrong the first time...

• 80: Stealh
  • 8080: Stealth
  • 5000: Open!
by Grand Master
Grand Master

That looks just what you want.

You sure you can access it from outside your LAN? Shield's Up! is not usually wrong. It's such a simple test for it.

Investigator

Yea... All I have to do is type my external ip into my web browser and it takes me straight to my router sign in page. (Just clarifying: I'm not using the routers local ip)

Investigator
Solution

I think I've fixed it. The webserver is a virtual machine running on my personal PC and is listed as a separate device via a virtual bridged adapter. I just put it's IP into the DMZ section of my router so all inbound packets from anywhere outside the local network (e.g. website requests) go through that virtual machine. This worked. I also shut down the virtual machine and you still can't access the router's login page via my external IP now. Thanks for all the help btw 😄

View solution in original post

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@BWBellairs wrote:

Yea... All I have to do is type my external ip into my web browser and it takes me straight to my router sign in page. (Just clarifying: I'm not using the routers local ip)

No, but your web browser is running on a PC within your LAN, isn't it?

Investigator

Yes... but I've also used some online tools to try and load the website for me.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. Glad you were able to fix it but I didn't really understand how a virtual m/c on your LAN was revealing the router's GUI.

Investigator

Trial and error XD

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

This is normal as your on an internal loopback and its to be expected. If however you can use say a connection outside of your network / your own internet ie on a mobile phone, and type in the ip and it still brings up your router page, then yes you have an issue.

Investigator

That happens so I do have an issue. How would I fix that? (I'd like to remove my current solution(DMZ))

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BWBellairs

Thanks for posting again on this.

So can we confirm it's not working and you still need further assistance?

If so, I'm going to tag in @XRaySpeX to see if he can please offer any further ideas when available.

Thanks

Richard

:)​​​​​​​

Investigator

My current solution is working but I'd rather find a way to turn off access to the router via external IP a different way. I'd be happy if anyone gives help 😄

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.