by tom00 Contributor
Contributor

Re: I cannot get a signal in Colombia?

Just thought I'd drop by - I've had it confirmed again that Orange PAYG doesn't have a roaming agreement in Colombia - I was also told they would update the incorrect information on their website - so problem solved Smiley Frustrated Smiley Happy

by matty2 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, Tom

Seems to me theres a great deal of arse-from-elbow-based problems at EE on this front.

I can confirm that my UK EE sim has worked fine in San Gil, Cartagena, Bucaramanga and (I think, from memory) San Andres - all parts of Colombia. This definitely seems to be a Medellin-based problem.

Given how specific the problem is, it should really be pretty straightforward for EE to resolve, but they don't seem interested. Like I say from a financial perspective I can understand why. From a customer service perspective - you pays your money....

M

by
EE Employee

Hi @matty2 and welcome back to the community.

I understand your frustration with this issue, I have passed this over to the relevant teams to look into.

As the network is a roaming partner and not one of our own, the issue could be down to a number of things.

Many thanks,

Lee

by almogos

I have a possible solution to not being able to receive cell phone signal in Colombia.

Apparently, all new cell phones brought into Colombia need to be registered with the Colombian government, otherwise they won't receive cell phone signal, even if they have paid a provider for the service.

The way I found this out is that I went into a Tigo shop to purchase a local SIM card and get internet as my provider was not receiving signal. As he was setting me up, he told me that I won't be receiving signal for about a day until the phone registration (which he was able to do) was processed. So right now I am without signal, but apparently within 24 hours I should have a working local SIM as well as my SIM from back home. Registration requires a form of identification (I used my driver's license but a passport will also work).

by vanessa-c-n

hi, 

My signal also does not work when in Colombia as a whole. I am in Medellin and my phone says ‘no service’ why is this happening please as obviously I can’t receive phone calls or text messages.

thank you

by
EE Employee

Hi @vanessa-c-n and welcome to the community.

I will certainly have this looked into for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

by GJ9954
Visitor

Re: I cannot get a signal in Colombia

I am on an EE contract with an IPhone 7

i am in Medellin in Colombian and have no mobile signal.

i bought a phone package before I left the UK so I am very unhappy I cannot make or receive calls or texts.

i see from previous posts in the Community this has been a problem so some time.

i have turned off 4G and tried searching for networks manually with no success.  What should I do?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @GJ9954

Welcome to the community, I hope you're having a great time in Colombia,

Have you used your mobile phone abroad before? Do you know if roaming is activated?

You may be able to see this through your My EE account.

Chris

by rick22 Investigator
Investigator

I am having the same issue now. Everyone on this thread is correct. EE has no interest in resolving this and just want to blame it on coverage and tell you to keep searching. They talk to you like you are in some remote area. Everyone here knows Movistar has great coverage all around Medellin. They need someone upstairs to finally fix this administratively, if they manage to get around to it. Not likely as there have been more than enough complaints on this community going back unresolved.  I wonder how many webchats you have received complaining about this, but not written here.  

You can't tell your customers you have roaming in Colombia when it doesn't work in the second biggest city which is known to have great coverage with your partner!  

Someone finally take this upstairs and get this resolved. Its most likely administrative and not technical!

by blueymarie Investigator
Investigator

I have had no signal anywhere across the whole of Colombia for 3 weeks now. I’ve run out of money, can’t transfer any because I can’t receive a security text, can’t call my bank, can’t call EE, they’re getting back with useless questions where I’m just repeating myself. Has this problem in Colombia really been the same for years with no change?! I’m completely stuck, the advisor on Twitter told me there was no more she could do, I’ve sent an email with no reply as yet, the online chat isn’t working and I’ve told them twice that no, there is no other phone here to call them on. I’m completely stuck. And this has already cost me the price of a flight because of a text somebody assumed I’d received. It is now dangerous and urgent and literally nobody can help me. 

by rick22 Investigator
Investigator

They never resolved my issue. They did the same thing and seemed to send messages that they were sincerely working on this issue at the end and after numerous attempts to get them to avoid doing the robotic checks and confirms.  

Its a contract issue on their end with the roaming provider but you can't get through the bureacuracy there for someone to solve it.  I am surprised it won't work across Colombia it may not be their fault in this case. Other users here had the same issue as me where it doesn't work in Medellin, but will work in other cities.  

by Joramjo
Visitor

I have been in Colombia with my partner and two friends for ten days. We are all EE customers. We all bought Global Roaming packages before we left. None of us has been able to connect to a network since we got here despite trying all the suggestions made by EE. My partner has been in daily contact with EE, to no avail, wasting time and energy when he should have been simply enjoying his holiday. Discovering that EE has known about this problem for YEARS and still hasn't resolved it is utterly infuriating!!! Why not just admit that they can't guarantee coverage here and that we'd be better off buying a sim/data package here in Colombia? Surely honesty is better than misleading, false information and the consequent inconvenience, frustration and loss of faith. As soon as I've received my refund and an apology from EE, preferably in the shape of compensation, I'm going to take my custom elsewhere.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Joramjo,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems getting connected in Colombia.

Unfortunately, we are unable to guarantee the coverage or performance of roaming networks.

Our technical support team will do all they can to help you get connected if you get in touch.

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.