How do I get my PUK code to unblock

How do I get my PUK code to UNBLOCK ?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: I have my PUK code now but my phone is just showing 'PUK blocked' and giving

Hello @Piper sorry to hear you are having problems with a blocked SIM. Unfortunately if the phone is displaying 'PUK blocked' this means the PUK code has already been entered incorrectly 10times and the SIM has been permanently disabled. You will need to get a new one either free from your local EE store or through customer service on 150 from your EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other (lines open at 8am, charge of £10.20). You can also order a replacement using the form contained in this link (£10.20 charge). :):

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/order-sim/

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

I have my PUK code now but my phone is just showing 'PUK blocked' and giving me

I have a PUK code now but the phone is not giving me anywhere to enter it! It just says 'PUK blocked' and there's an angry looking exclamation mark! I'm in credit and have no idea why this has happened. This is ridiculous! I just need my phone to make calls for which I HAVE PAID!!!! Very angry about this. What do I do?

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: I have my PUK code now but my phone is just showing 'PUK blocked' and giving

Hello @Piper sorry to hear you are having problems with a blocked SIM. Unfortunately if the phone is displaying 'PUK blocked' this means the PUK code has already been entered incorrectly 10times and the SIM has been permanently disabled. You will need to get a new one either free from your local EE store or through customer service on 150 from your EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other (lines open at 8am, charge of £10.20). You can also order a replacement using the form contained in this link (£10.20 charge). :):

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/order-sim/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Thanks for replying but let me see if I have this right. I can get a new SIM card if I call 150 from my phone. Well that's out because I can't use my phone because my SIM is blocked! I can call the land line number but I had already called their technical team and nobody mentioned selling me a new SIM. Unfortunately, the nearest EE / T-Mobile shop to me has closed so I have to make a journey to one in Camden Town. Not easy since I'm semi- disabled. I rely on my mobile which I have with me at all times in case I can't get to my landline in an emergency or if I'm out and need to call my taxi service.

It seems the SIM is free in the shops but over £10.00 by post. That's a hefty postal charge!
Finally, I still don't understand why the PUK was blocked in the first place. Do SIMs have a particular ' life-span' and then , without warning to the customer, who may be vulnerable, just stop working? If so then a pre- blocking warning should be sent to all EE/T-Mobile customers so that they can have a new SIM in place in good time.
It looks like I ought to invest in TWO new SIMs for when, inevitably, this occurs again.
Finally, ( thanks for your patience) will all my information/ phone numbers still be available when the new SIM is intact?

Kind regards and thanks for your help
Piper
Sent from my iPad
Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Sorry @Piper I was meant to write call 150 from an EE phone or 07953 966 250 from any other.

Replacement SIMs are now given out free in EE stores as courtesy for physically going in to get one (used to be chargeable like phone/online). You will need the old blocked SIM or a valid photo passport/driving license as ID to process the SIM swap in store.

There is no expiration linked to PUK codes. The only way to block the PUK feature is by incorrectly entering the PUK code 10times effectively destroying the SIM. any messages or contacts on the SIM have been lost forever and the new SIM you receive will be a blank one, but still linked to your account, number & credit etc. 🙂
Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

But Tom why did my phone show PIN blocked in the FIRST PLACE completely out of the blue the other morning when I went to use it?
I'm absolutely gutted at having lost all my numbers which will be difficult if not nigh impossible to get back again.
Does anyone agree that we should be given due warning that our SIM is about to be blocked? Because that's what I fell must be happening.
I did try various number codes to unblock it at the prompting of the tech team member I spoke to on the land line . At no point did he recommend I stop because at 10 tries I would lose all my precious information!
Is there NO way to release my telephone numbers and transfer to a new SIM? I find it hard to believe that in the 21st century with huge strides being made in the information tech age that this is not possible.
Regards
Piper

Sent from my iPad
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Piper unfortunately once a SIM has been permanently blocked to protect the user from the possibility of attempted fraudulent access any personal information stored on it cannot be viewed by anyone including EE. This does not include any messages or contacts stored on your phones memory however these should still be accessible with a replacement SIM inserted.

All SIM cards come with the ability to add a PIN code that must be entered every time the device is switched on. After 3 incorrect attempts the PIN will block the SIM like a credit/debit card and give 10 attempts to enter the correct PUK code and gain access to the SIM.

This is the only way a SIM should be showing the message PUK blocked, if any of this has not happened then the only other possible explanation would be a SIM fault which would need to be replaced with a new one anyway. 🙂
Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Why would a SIM quite suddenly develop a fault? Is this not just a case of built in obsolescence? I hadn't dropped the phone or indeed immersed it in boiling oil!

if we can prove our I.D when having to get a new SIM card, then why can't 21st century 

technology not have the ability to give us our precious phone numbers?

I fully understand the implications of security and not wanting ones' details getting into the wrong hands BUT  with proven ID and that person requesting that their phone numbers ,at least ,are re-instated, I'm at a total loss as to why this cannot be achieved by EE/ T-Mobile. Music can be transferred to different devices for instance.

Regards Piper 🤔

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @Piper the reason your messages & contacts cannot be retrieved is because all information stored on the SIM is destroyed when the PUK code is blocked to prevent any attempts at hacking in to it.

With regards to why this has happened I cannot comment on that I am sorry. A SIM card should only ever request a PUK code when the PIN code has been entered wrong 3 times. Customer service would have to look into that one for you. 🙂
Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tom .
Still think if I can prove ID that information to SIMS should be transferable.
Thanks for your helpful suggestions but it looks like I'll have to go to an EE store . Just hope they don't dare try to sell me a new phone too!!!😱

Sent from my iPad
Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

You are welcome @Piper here is the store finder link in case you would like to search for any particular stores:

https://storefinder.ee.co.uk/ee/stores.html

Let me know how you get on if you have the time hopefully you are able to get a replacement soon. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.