by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

How do I connect EE wifi to printer / desktop?

Hi 

I have an EE Mifi device.  My laptop connects to it easily.

I would like to add my Windows 10 desktop to it - please advise how.

Also ,I have an HP LaserJet Pro 200 printer I would like to connect.  I have deleted previous settings and applied the Mifi credentials, but this doesn't seem to work.

Advise greatly appreciated!

Chris

20 REPLIES 20
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: How do I connect EE wifi to printer / desktop?

Hello @cmacneil you can connect to the MBB device via Wi-Fi the same as any other router:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-connect-wi-fi-on-windows-10-3633729/

The default SSID is usually 'MYWIFI####'.

When you have added the PC can you add the printer then? You will need to consult the manufacturers instruction manual on how to connect it to a Wi-Fi network.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @cmacneil

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

I see @tm90 has been helping you and when you come back to answer then he may be able to help you further.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Hi guys

Thanks for your helpful replies.

I neglected to mention the Windows 10 desktop doesn't have a wifi card in it.  Will it recognise the EE Mifi through a USB connection?  If so can you recommend a cheat sheet for setup?

The printer is Wifi enabled.  I've found the wifi config settings easily enough, but the printer seems to be cycling through a restart sequence which it didn't do when it was on the former Relish wifi connection (now terminated).  If there are HP printer experts in the group I'd be grateful to hear from them.  

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Yes you can use the USB charging cable that came with the MBB device to connect it to your PC. When the MBB device is powered on and connected you should get a pop up on screen which will tell you what to do next.

Which model HP printer do you have? I will look online for information.

by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Thank you for your help @tm90.

I did plug in the device today and nothing popped up.  I am back in the office on Wednesday and will try again then.

The printer is HP LaserJet Pro 200 M276 PCL6.  Grateful for any pointers you learn!

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

HP wireless troubleshooting help page for M276 can be found here:

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=Printer_Does_Not_Maintain_Wireless_Connection.net&as=true&se...

The page mentions printer repeating successfully connecting then dropping connection and going offline which sounds similar to what you are experiencing.

by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Thank you @tm90.  I will take a closer look when I am in the office on Wednesday.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

OK speak soon.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

When you connect the MBB router to the Win10 PC by USB & start it up a notification pop-up should appear on the PC stating "Web Connection". Click on it, or on the program within the new USB Drive that has appeared in Explorer, to install the Web Connection. You should now have an Ethernet connection to the MBB router.

For the wireless printer, does it have a WPS button? Press it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Hi folks

I am not sure what I did, but all seems to be working now 🙂

The printer still goes through a connect / restart cycle, but that's a separate issue and doesn't affect ability for me to print wifi through the Mifi device and from my laptop.

I have the Mifi plugged directly into my desktop.  I was prompted to connect to ee.mobilebroadband  This failed on several occasions.  When I added /index.html it worked.  I wasn't challenged for log in credentials and yet I have full internet access - puzzling, but at least it works.  

Thanks again for your help!

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The username and password to access your routers settings are set to admin/admin by default. If you have an EE 4GEE Wi-Fi device these are already saved on the sign in screen.

You can also access the routers settings here:

http://192.168.1.1

Good to hear you are now connected. Thank you for coming back to let us know.

by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Thank you @tm90 - I have connected to that address and changed my credentials (and forwarded text messages to my phone!)

All good.

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You are welcome. The community is here anytime if there is anything else you would like to know.

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@cmacneil wrote:

I wasn't challenged for log in credentials and yet I have full internet access - puzzling, but at least it works.

You don't need to login to have Internet access. The login is only for administrating the device itself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Hi guys

Me again.  Everything's working fine, but I wonder if it's possible to attach my Vonage device to the EE MiFi device?

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

What happens when you try to? Is it giving you an error message?

by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Thanks @tm90

I haven't gotten that far yet actually.  

I have their basic product which is a Grandstream HT802 (router - one end into a broadband connection and the other into telephone handsets) and Gigaset telephone handset.

The Grandstream is looking for an ethernet connection into a broadband router. Ideally I would like to find an ethernet to USB (does such a cable exist?) to plus the Grandstream into the EE Mifi device. 

I have also raised this with Vonage tech support, but it would be useful to hear from anyone who has already successfully made this connection.

Chris

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The only limitation 4GEE Wi-Fi devices have is because EE use CGNAT obtaining a public IP for port forwarding is not possible.

I searched online for VOIP CGNAT and VOIP success over CGNAT seems to be mixed and depends on the provider. You will have to test it and see what results you get.

by cmacneil Investigator
Investigator

Thank you @tm90 - I will try and check with Vonage. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.