This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

Home Broadband Chap Authentication Failed

I have just signed up to EE broadband... it all got connected 'apparently' on the 6th Nov.. however it didn't...

The line is perfect, however it does not authenticate.. I have Chap Authentication Error in the logs...

I called EE, they called back, and didnt resolve anything.. other than changing my password.

Each evening since the 6th I have spoken to another person who cannot fix my issue.

If we use the test user to authenticate it work perfectly.. and oddly enough on first boot I get 20 seconds of access and Authentication Sucessful.. then off.. and a reapeat of Chap Authentication Failed

I got called Friday night and Saturday day, several times.  Monday evening and lastly last night... got told they are not sure what the issue is.. and they will call me again on Friday!!!  And I have to say I was just told thats whats happened.. no detail on the issue, no work around and that was that.  I had no choice.

So should I cancel the service ASAP and move back to Sky who I now regret moving away from.

Or

Stick it out....

22 REPLIES
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Home Broadband Chap Authentication Failed

Sounds like they haven't registered your credentials at their authentication server, either at all or correctly.

Sure you've got your pwd right in the router? Why they need to change it? Isn't it the one on your KeepMe card?

What's it say in the top section of the initial Status page of router? Omit your BB Username.

What's the "test user"?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

They keep telling me the server has an issue...

One fix was to setup a simple password, so they did...

I have on many many occassions retyped the password, and the ID, run the mgration wizard and reset to defaults....

All I get is people who dont want to look at advanced or listen to the actaul error.. I keep saying its authentication and I am not sure they are listening.

The test user I cant recall but connected imediatly without issue...

I will try omiting the user ID when I get home... see what that does.

Apparently they have reset the credentials, checked the account.. but nothing has worked.. will call for a MAC code and move the Plus net if I can..

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Were you migrating your BB from another ISP? You might still be on them. That has happened a few times recently with migrations to EE. That's why I'd like to see the top Status page incl. the IP with the last part redacted.

You said EE CS don't listen. They certainly won't admit to that possibility.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

Yes migraing from Sky to EE.

If that was the issue how did the BT test authentication work? bt_test@bt I think that was it anyway.

Customer Serices have been great, profession and helpful.

Tech support have been helpful and have tried to resolve it, however they have also been odd.... I called admitidy after 8pm and I have had to listen to someone singing down the phone then start talking to me.. the phone got picked up and all I could hear was the guys talking in the background and thats been a few times....

I got home too late last night to do any tests.... I will do your tests tomrorow.

by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

As a quick update they called me back friday....

And said sorry we cant get you workign yet but dont worry we will compnensate you financially..

This really isnt about money and I feel massivly insulted by the persons assumption that throwing money at me will keep me happy.

So BB wasnt fixed and they called back today and guess what its still not fixed.. so thats now 11 days without broadband... its so simple its a joke on me.

by ducied Investigator
Investigator

iph007, I feel your pain! Countless calls, numerous diagnostic tests over the phone, 2 routers (or 3 if you count the one that got lost en-route) and 3 engineer visits (or potentially 4 - EE can't make up their mind if one of them came or not - all I know is they didn't arrive at our property!), and still no broadband!

All I have been offered, after I demanded some kind of internet access, was £30 to buy a dongle... something that EE themselves don't even sell at that price. I have been waiting over 3 weeks to be connected, and still no one can tell me what the problem is or where the problem is arising - all they keep telling me is that there is a 'synchronisation' issue?!? Though they seem to have no clue what is causing it.

We've also tried the test user, the changing of passwords, the engineer even tried the old BT router and reconnecting to BT service, and guess what? The internet worked! And while I'm sure the engineer has put all of this into their notes back to EE, what I'm not sure about is if anyone is actually reading them, as each time I call EE, they seem surprised that there is still a problem!

So, if you finally get a resolution to your problem, I would appreciate if you could let me know what it was and how they fixed it, so hopefully I can ask them to do the same! If somehow I get there first (and I'm not holding out much hope here!), I will do the same.

Seriously regretting leaving BT now, despite their over-inflated prices...
by tholdermark Investigator
Investigator

I'm having the same issue too. Broadband was meant to go live Thursday 13th November but didn't work. I've been through numerous instances of calling them after failed promises of callbacks. Actually, tell a lie, I did get one call that I waited in for where they asked exactly the same questions as the person before.

I too managed to connect with the test login details they gave during the first technical call but not the creditials provided for my own account. It seems pretty obvious that it's an authentication problem on their servers but they still keep going in circles of asking if my phone works and what lights are on the router. Been through the reset and migration palaver a few times too. It was a new phone line but no migration from another provider.

Still waiting and am not being given any idea of timescales. The operator last night said that there's lots of people with the same problem. I'm not prepared to wait indefinitely so if it's not fixed after the call I'm promised for tonight then I'm calling it a day. Not impressed.

Investigator

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Be careful of broadband-finder.info site. It is a fake site that is spoofing the pukka thinkbroadband.com site.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

ducied wrote:
still no one can tell me what the problem is or where the problem is arising - all they keep telling me is that there is a 'synchronisation' issue?!? Though they seem to have no clue what is causing it.

@ducied  @tholdermark : This may be able to help determine in which area the problem lies:

What's it say in the Internet section of the initial Status page of router? Omit your BB Username.

by ducied Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX - the router status has remained unchanged: Broadband: Connected; Internet: Disconnected; The only time the Internet status was connected, was when the EE 'Technical' team used the BT test login.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Does the IP start 2.26.?

by ducied Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX - no, the IP is just 0.0.0.0
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Smiley Embarassed Of course! Silly me! You have no Internet connection. Sorry, I was mixing it up with a migrated line still being connected to old ISP.

by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

So had a call to EE last night, they told me the can see the issue, its nation wide and they will call my back friday to discuss it... Not fix it... that will be 15 days with no internet service... they explain the issue again with authenticate.  And say its elevated to teir 2 and they will call me directly in the next 24 / 48 hours... this is the 7th time I have been told this and I have never had a call from a tier 2 anything.

For fun the guy has me retype my ID and password again...

I ask for a MAC code and he cant provide that I can to call CS and he hangs up...

I proceed to reset to default.. internet access for 30 seconds again then chap authentication error as normal

I migrate to ADSL and even run the bt_test_user@bt and prove the connection is fine if not authenticated as me.

So I call CS and ask for my MAC code, I get told I cant have one I am in contract.. I explained that theres no contract without service and I am within my rights to cancel at this point.  Told again I am not and even give a rather large number of what it will cost me to leave, I tell him hes wrong and please put me through to cancelations.

I get cancelations at last...

Do the security again... and this guy explains they have identified a local issue with the copper and the local exchange.. interesting I say, as thats not what I have been told.. I explain my phone line works, the boradband worked fine until EE, noone else around me has a fault, the test user works perfectly and resetting the router works, so its not copper is it.. silence... he offeres to call the tier 2 team to get a update...? tier 2 for a copper fault more interesting... and a copper fault thats taken nearly 2 weeks to find and hides behing clearly not being a copper fault.

Unsupprisingly he cant get them, he agrees its not copper and accepts my cancelation / MAC request, and confirms I will have no financial penalty.

Thats more than 1 hour of phone calls.

So now waiting my MAC code

Just feel let down and not sure what team to trust as telling the truth, its a national issue, its a local issue, its tier 2, will I have a financial penalty, and will the service ever work....

by ducied Investigator
Investigator

@ip007 - Glad you managed to cancel without penalty... if things don't go right for me, I will expect the same!

The Tier 2 technical team is like a secret society - you can only usually speak to them, if they find it within themselves to call you when they promise to. If you're really really lucky you might get transferred to them, but this is often after you've either been transferred to India several times and hung up on, at least once, or you've been on hold for eternity! Yesterday, I was lucky and was transferred through to someone... They stated that they still could not pin point the issue, clearly not reading through the notes and they finally conceded to my request of scrapping the existing account and rebuilding it all from scratch.

They promised to call back that evening - and shockingly, they did, but only to tell us that they system they use to rebuild accounts was broken, and they couldn't do it. So another promise to call back this evening... And apparently this is the last resort - if this doesn't work, then nothing will!

We have also experienced the lying... the 'go to' stories must be part of their training...
Investigator

Reading that sounds almost as if I'd written it. Only difference is that they absolutely refused to let me cancel without penalty, despite a lengthy conversation with the retentions manager and pointing out that I have not received any service from them. They insist that I must allow them 30 days to resolve it, though they admitted that's just their internal policy.

They automatically sheduled me in for another call back from tier 2 technical support - though as the previous one pointed out to me, it's not actually them that call but a gateway or representative. This just results in the endless cycle of answer EXACTLY THE SAME QUESTIONS again and again. I picked up a voicemail from them last night where they just said they're still looking into it. Great. An earlier CS rep also told me that they're not doing anything more than gathering data at the moment rather than actually solving the issue.

Absolutely disgusting customer service - worst I've ever experienced.

Literally whilst typing this I have received an email with my MAC code. I'm very tempted to use it an go to another provider but my only concern is EE taking my hard-earned for proving nowt and/or damaging my credit score.

by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

I really dont feel like I want to update this but I guess I should...

Insalled / transfer date the 6th and still not working..

Tech team clearly have no idea, MAC code would have been used already but I not had the time and stupidly thought maybe just maybe they will fix this problem....

Amazing whne you are allowed to sell a product you are unable to activate with no recourse at all.  EE are very lucky.

by iph007 Contributor
Contributor

Amazingly I called Support last night..

And got told I have no issues on my account, I missed 2 phone calls over the weekend, this was enough for them to close the fault... I was so angry I went speachless when I was told... they call to give a status of not fixed and then close the fault they know isnt fixed Unbelievable...

I have already reset to defaults, used the test user and also retyped user ID and password and lastly does the ADSL migration.. none of this worked.

The Support guy did a line test and weirdly my router rebooted.. he found a fault on the line which he raised as an issue and said sorry about this fault he found, then it CONNECTED not for 25 seconds but perfectly without loss... I todl him and he said thats what he would expect.

So what fixed my issue.. he has no idea because theres no fault history on my line... really from the 6th a phone call everyday except sundays and now its fixed.. no record of compensation.... no record of a fault.

So now I have a line fault and once fixed I can apparently expect a much faster service... WTF...

Will call billing today and get that compensation and confirm if I use my MAC I am in my rights to and will get no financial issues.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.