Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Geolocation

In the past when I've done an IP lookup the location has been where the ISP is located i.e Plusnet/Sheffield 

But an EE lookup shows my home town and a map pinpoint very close to my address to any website I visit. That coupled with a rather sticky dynamic address (supercookie) concerns me about my privacy and being tracked without my permission.

I wouldn't mind the police/M15 getting any information direct from the ISP as and when they deemed fit. But just casual  web surfing this leaves me a little uneasy.

It seems I'm now force to use a VPN, that's before the clueless Amber Rudd bans them, to stop website and ISP's getting this information.

Any one else have concerns in this area?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Geolocation

What are you using to look up your EE IP?

The 1 i just used, GeoIP, locates me at Torquay but I'm nowhere near. Coincidentally today I drove along the A30 not all that far from Torquay but not with this PC nor any device connected to this IP.

I think what is locating you is not your IP but searches you have done with your browsers. You could try another browser that you've never used before to do your IP lookup.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Also, if you are browsing the IP look-up website on a phone, tablet or any other device that has built-in GPS, the website will usually use the devices precise GPS location.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I used several but iplocation.net seem comprehensive listing several databases the've used.

I get the same results on my nexus 6P on firefox or chrome browser, On my Chromebook, & Win10 laptop  in Edge or Chrome cleared browser and with or without ingognito / inPrivate enabled.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

iplocation.net gives me a whole lot of locations, none of which are near me.

They are scattered between Belfast, Kent, 2 @ Taunton & Heavitree nr. Exeter. The latter from https://www.iplocation.net/go/ip2location is the only accurate 1 being the place where EE has actually registered it:

IP Location United Kingdom United Kingdom Heavitree Ee Limited
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

iplocation.net gave 4 out of 5 as being my home town. the other being computer house Brenford.

I checked my DNS server settings. I forgot i had manually changed them to use google server 8.8.8.8 

I changed the DNS servers and a search  this time was 1 out 5 gave my home town the others where miles away like Belfast, Leeds etc.

interestingly http://whatismyipaddress.com gave only one result which was my home town. Which is a smallish town in a county with a low population.

Interestingly, a few months ago i notice the google maps car scanning the area probably hoovering up wireless router mac addresses as well.

Any connection, I don't know. Its just a theory.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.