Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Fee applied to account after annual upgrade

I did my annual upgrade today to an iPhone X. 

I handed in in my iPhone 7 Plus and it was assessed that there was no damage. I signed a form to that effect.

Later this evening a £240 charge was added to my account resulting in my lines being blocked for calls. I have two family members on this shared plan. One of which is in hospital and due to this mess up from EE we can’t communicate.

Absolute shambles. I’m dreading the call to CS in the morning as no doubt they will ask me to go to the store. Which is 36 miles away.

evwr time I change something on my account they screw it up. I’m seriously close to porting my numbers out and just give up.

No one in CS ever take ownership of any problems. 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Fee applied to account after annual upgrade

Hi, 

What is the £240 for? Handset cost? If so then I don't see how you were not expecting it.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @Tobey76

Thank you for taking the time to join our community 🙂

Have you spoken with customer services at all?

Any charge on your account requires account access and that's something we don't have here.

I hope you manage to get everything sorted out and get the phones back up and running.

Please come back and share the outcome.

Richard

🙂

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

No it’s not a handset cost. Handset was paid in store. And there was no charge due for the returned handset.

I’ve now been told that as the plan was upgraded the billing system toggles roaming off and on. This triggered the system to request a deposit for each of my lines. This amount is added to the account balance. A system that monitors usage can not tell the difference between the deposit and usage and hence my lines were restricted due to a steep increase in usage.

I received a text telling me this 12 hours after the restriction was put in place!!!!

I’m now arguing over the deposit as I’ve had roaming for years with no deposit required and I am not prepared to pay one now. I pose no greater risk to EE today than what I did yesterday.

The fact of the matter is that EE is now the only operator that requires a deposit for roaming: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/phones/2017/08/bt-customers-who-fail-c...

There is no commercial reason for this. The current GSM spec is real-time in that each time a transaction is taking place the roaming partner will check with the home network if this is allowed. Each EE customer have an internal credit limit. When reached the restriction is enforced. Hence an out of bundle charge in the home network is no riskier than the same charge in a foreign network.

My restriction is lifted while CS is sorting this mess out. However the idea of restricting a line in the evening when CS is closed without any warning or notice is completely bonkers. You can opt to pay some off your balance to get it reinstated by the automated payment line. However there is no way to find out what the charge is. This “deposit” is not itemised anywhere on myee. No sane person would pay £250 to anyone without knowing what it is.

Again people are being affected in a negative way by EE’s antiquated billing systems and their moronic processes that serves no purpose what so ever.

EE’s network is great but their customer service experience is one of the worst.

This will no doubt get sorted in my favour but the expense is that I in turn could not do my job as I could not call a very important customer last night.

It’s typical British “we don’t care about customer” attitude.

Sent from my iPhone
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Tobey76

I'm sorry to hear that the level of service you advise that you have received has not met your expectations on this occasion.

Please see our ways to complain if you would like to discuss this further with anyone.

In the meantime I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Richard.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

It’s actuallu resolved now.

I spent 1hr 53minutes convincing a CS rep to escalate. His manager resolved it in 10 minutes after agreeing that’s it defies all logic and common sense prevailed.

This should not happen and the lack of service is still inexcusable.

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @Tobey76

I understand your frustration but I'm glad your service is now back on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.