by carlip8 Investigator
Investigator

Extremely Slow Broadband Since Mid-December

Before December 2016 used to always be above 15Mbps.

Have tried another known working filter.

Have tried direct into the master socket.

No noise on line, inbound or outbound.

Same on ethernet connection and  WiFi.

Have tried changing channels of WiFi and now switched back to auto.

Restarted router.

Factory reset router.

None of the above has made any improvement.

Results below:

Time Connected: 00:25:32

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 1296 (Kbps) Downstream 3799 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 16.5 (dB) 10.8 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 49.5 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 4.6 (dBm) 4.7 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 165 2 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 0 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 0 0
STATISTICS Received Data 264063 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 73728 (Kbits)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1484486976245089855

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWPTON

F.A.O. @XRaySpeX 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Extremely Slow Broadband Since Mid-December

You should be syncing at about 5 Meg on the reported stats. If you were once at 15 Meg something's gone awry.

However I don't like:

@carlip8 wrote:
Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 49.5 (dB)

Up attn. shouldn't be 0 but about 1/2 x Down. I don't suppose you remember the attns. when you were getting 15 Meg? Does the phone make calls both ways?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by carlip8 Investigator
Investigator

Apologies, only have the attns as per the status now. Was no need to check them when having satisfactory speeds.

Phone makes calls both ways.

Any further ideas/solutions?

Thanks in advance.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What speed did EE estimate for you when you joined? 

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by carlip8 Investigator
Investigator

Package I took out with EE is upto 38Mbps and estimated was upto 12.**Mbps from memory.

Telephone Number ************** on Exchange PLYMPTON is served by Cabinet 12

Link for screen shot of BT Broadband Availability Checker table.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Duh! I'm on the wrong track. Forget what I said about up attenuation. I didn't notice you are on Fibre. When you said you were getting only 15 Meg I thought it must be ADSL.

In any case according to the BT Checker you should be getting 40 Meg sync Down & 10 Meg Up.. I should report to EE that you are not getting the speeds you should & that it's been v. slow since Dec.

Indeed if you were quoted 12 Meg on Fibre why move to it? You could be getting 17 Meg on ADSL2+.

However there is something suspicious about your Down Attenuation. It does not fit in with the BT Checker. If it is really about 50 dB you'd hardly be getting Fibre.

All most puzzling Smiley Sad!

by carlip8 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the advice and checking everything.

I have since contacted EE and they can confirm i'm only hitting 3.7Mbps and below minimum standard for fibre. They have run a few line tests and believe the fault lies with BT so they have contacted BT and awaiting a response.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.