Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Downgraded from contract to sim only payg - what next?

My contract came to an end so instead of upgrading, I phoned 150 and asked to be put onto a PAYG Sim only deal. They said this was fine and it would take up to four weeks. 

Four weeks have passed and today it seems something has happened as when I login to my account online it says the account has now been closed (assume this is for the contract I have now cancelled).

So, what do I do now? I appear to be able to receive and make calls... but have no data access.

If I text BA to 150 it says I have £9 balance... but no allowances? Can someone explain this to me? How do I know how many mins or texts I have left?

I also tried to get a data pack by texting DP10 to 150 but it says the pack is not available on my current price plan?

Very confused! Can someone please help me out. Been on contract all my life so this is all new to me and EE have not done a good job of explaining it at all.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Downgraded from contract to sim only payg - what next?

@matthewhearne: You can't use data w/out buying a Pack. The DP10 Pack only comes on an online exclusive SIM.

See Pay as you go packs - minutes, texts and data

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX

Hi. How about DP15 then as I can't get that either?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Same!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX

Well that was never mentioned on the phone when I asked for the contract to change to PayG.

OK, the "balance" that it shows me of £9... is this credit I can use towards a new pack?

How am I able to make and receive calls if I have not yet purchased a pack?

Sorry for all the questions!

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. Yes, you buy packs outta your PAYG balance.
  2. Only for data must you buy a Pack. Calls & texts will be charged against your PAYG credit at standard unit rates if you have no Pack allowance for them.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Really helpful thanks.

Really annoyed though that I am not able to get the data packs... I sepcifically asked the person on the phone about these when I asked to change.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Nowt to stop you buying an online PAYG data SIM (Shop / SIM Only / PAYG Phone SIMs) separately.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

If I buy another SIM won't my number change?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it will have a separate no. You could try & ask CS to transfer 1 to t'other.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @matthewhearne

Welcome to the community. 🙂

As per the Pay as you go packs help and support page, you should be able to text DP10 to 150.

It's possible that it is because you only have £9 credit and need £10 for the DP10 pack that it isn't working.

If you need some help, please contact our customer service team.

Let me know how you get on.

Chris

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G wrote:

As per the Pay as you go packs help and support page, you should be able to text DP10 to 150.

The table on that help page used to have a footnote to the effect that DP10 & 15 could only be bought from an online SIM that came with them. It no longer has but from OP's experience it would seem to be still operative & the footnote misplaced in error.

Highlighted
by

I've spoken to the content author who recently updated that page, @XRaySpeX.

They confirmed that these packs should now be available for all pay as you go EE customers.

However, the message that should be popping up should be prompting a top-up (due to insufficient credit) rather than saying the plan isn't available.

@matthewhearne - If you give our customer services a quick call, they will be able to activate this pack for you.

Chris 🙂

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G wrote:

rather than saying the plan isn't available.

Exactly!

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Great, thanks. Will call CS and get them to delete my old app account as well as that's not working.

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Tried calling CS multiple times but wait time was awful.

When I did get through they tried to transfer me to someone else and cut me off... so I gave up.

I have managed to get credit onto my account, and apply a £10 data pack but only by using the automated service on 150. I was not able to do it via text. No big deal and all done now.

Highlighted
by

Hi @matthewwhearne

Thanks for coming here to see us again 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that although you haven't had a great experience, you have managed to get this sorted.

Hope to see you back here again.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G wrote:

I've spoken to the content author who recently updated that page,

An age old software development issue. It seems they may have updated the documentation for this but have forgotten to change the corresponding code (in the text service).

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.