by XDHJ Investigator
Investigator

Do you get a different IP address if you restart your fibre router?

Do you get a different IP address if you restart your fibre router?

Sometimes I need to change IP address. Can this be donewith EE by restarting the router?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Do you get a different IP address if you restart your fibre router?

You could but not often. EE's dynamic IPs are fairly sticky.

Don't keep re-syncing the router too often just to get a diff IP. The system will think your line is unstable.

Why do you need a diff IP?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You could but not often. EE's dynamic IPs are fairly sticky.

Don't keep re-syncing the router too often just to get a diff IP. The system will think your line is unstable.

Why do you need a diff IP?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I thought the IPs were very sticky... until November last year. Since then my IP address changes almost everytime I have a router restart.  This is a little annoying as I like to whitelist my IP on wordpress sites I run.

by
EE Community Support Team

I am going to bring @XRaySpeX here if he too see if he can lend some expert advice please.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Paulosb: Well, EE IPs are dynamic. You can never rely on them being fairly sticky, very sticky or not sticky at all.

Which pool is your recent IPs from? Reports seem to show that the 2.x.y.z pool is more likely to be sticky than the 95.x.y.z pool

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Over last six months I have noticed 10 different IPs. 9 were 2's and one was 95.     I would say 95% of router restarts generate a new IP.  

Previously it required a long/hard reboot sequence to force an IP change. 

by XDHJ Investigator
Investigator

This is my experience also. Most of the time my IP changes when rebooting my router.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.