Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Do I need to upgrade on an annual upgrade

I have a 4g EE max plan where I can upgrade after 12 months. I’m due to upgrade the handset in feb 2018. I’m aware I have to hand the original phone back. Do I have to upgrade or can I keep the contract running for the 24 months and keep the phone as I don’t want to upgrade and start a full new 24 months contract again.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: Do I need to upgrade on an annual upgrade

Hi, no you don’t have to upgrade, you can let the contract run it’s course then after the 24 months the phone would be yours, but remember to cancel the contract or go sim only.

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You don' have to upgrade but then you are just paying a higher premium on your tariff for 24 months for no reason as the tariff prices are higher than standards ones

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I didn’t realise that you would be entered into a new 24 month contract. I was planning to change to sim only once the contract ended. I’m not particularly wanting to enter into another so would be cheaper keeping the same phone as it would only be another 12 months payment rather than 24.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XoX  Unfortunately annual upgrade is only a upgrade to a full contract no sim only contracts and you have to have the same or more costly tariff.  

by Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t planning on changing to a sim only until the 24 months were up as I thought you could upgrade the handset and would only have 12 months left on the contract as you had already paid the first 12 before the upgrade. I wasn’t aware that a new 24 month contract started with the upgrade 🙈 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@XoX  Sadly yes as it’s a new contract  and not a continuation of the old contract with a new handset.   

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

If you upgraded after 12 months you’d start a new 24 month contract, if you just let your current contract run then you could just take a sim only contract out once you get towards the end of your current contract.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.