This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by doninwales Investigator
Investigator

Do I keep my landline number

I was planning to switch my landline+broadband package from Sky to EE.

I was also planning to switch my mother's landline+broadband package from BT to EE.

I started the process online and entered my phone number and associated details.

I was presented with the message:

"We've found an existing phone line at this address, which can easily be activated."

However, at no point in the process, nor anywhere else on the site that I can find, does it state whether the existing number will be retained.

It does not even state whether it is an option!
(I know when you purchase a new mobile contract you are asked if you want to keep your existing number - I see no equivalent comment, when planning to switch my landline).

I don't want to complete my order only to find out in 10 days time that I am presented with a message such:

"Welcome to EE.  Your new landline number is xxxxxxxx"

It is essential that I retain my existing landline number.

Is it 'standard' practice for the landline number to be retained when switching to EE?

I am unable to proceed with my two switches until I am sure that the two existing numbers will be retained.

4 REPLIES
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Do I keep my landline number

No, it is your number that it can see. You will not be getting a different number.. I changed mine years ago and retained the same number
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you and your mother at the same address? That could complicate things.

Both of you should be able to order online by giving your existing phone nos.

Your mother should be OK as she has a BT line and EE only provide BB over BT lines.

You, however, have a Sky line and EE need to get BT to take it back over before they can put BB on it. However, Sky may not allow the no. to be ported and want to retain it. We do hear of cases where Sky won't release the no. WHen your line was very 1st installed was it with BT or somebody else. If it was BT, then BT own the no. and Sky can't prevent it going back to BT. But otherwise you are at the mercy of Sky.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by doninwales Investigator
Investigator

No, we are at two completely different addresses, so that shouldn't cause any issue.

I am only deciding to move us both since we would both make a substantial annual saving (me, saving about £180 over Sky costs, and my mother saving about £205 over Plusnet costs).

My line 'used to be BT' for about 8 years before I switched to Sky a few years ago.

What happens if I apply, and Sky DO refuse to release the number? 

Will I be offered the option to 'cancel' the order with no change.

Whatever happens, I want to make sure I keep the number.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You should be OK if it was originally BT's no. but you won't know till it happens.

Make it a condition of contract by telling them and write to them that you will only migrate if you keep your no. If they won't accept that then the deal's off.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.