Highlighted
by
Explorer

Costs associated with ending contract within 45 days rather than upgrading

My son's phone is due an upgrade which is available from the end of january. As a student he can get the student discount so it makes more sense for him to take out his own contract. I wanted to know what the costs associated with ending the contract within the time that one would usually upgrade would be. Deals for him as a new customer combined with getting a student discount seems like a smarter option? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Costs associated with ending contract within 45 days rather than upgrading

Hello @lewisjmjames to keep things simple I recommend a Transfer of Ownership instead of canceling the line and taking another one out.

You both need to call customer service together or pop in to store and EE will take the relevant details and transfer the contract from your name to your sons same. He will then be able to add his student discount. Because you are continuing with the same line the contract start/end dates and upgrade date will not be affected.

There will be no charge for this but your son will have to pass a credit check the same as taking out a new contract.

🙂

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lewisjmjames,

I can see that @tm90 has already given you a great answer.

Once the contract has been transferred into your son's name, and eligible for upgrade, he can add the student discount on at this time.

If you contact our customer service team, they will be able to start the ball rolling for your transfer.

If you would prefer to do it in store, you can find you local store on our handy store finder

Chris 🙂 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Christopher_G  I thought if a  transfer of ownership was to happen then the new owner cannot upgrade the first three months  if an upgrade was actually due on the original owners contract. 

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Chris_B,

That's a great point, and correct.

@lewisjmjames - Just so you are aware, your son would need to wait the 3 months before upgrade after the account transfer. 

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.