by KOSFOB Investigator
Investigator

Chap authentication failure

Hi,

How long does it take to cure a CHAP authentication failure?

New router supplied after my old one died. Hooked it up as per. All green apart from flashing amber internet light.

system log reveals CHAP authentication failure.

even had an engineer out but he, sadly, couldn't resolve the issue.

EE keep bouncing it to BT, BT say all is fine at the exchange (and why wouldn't it be because everything was ok prior to the router replacement).

as far as I know, no one has proven that the router is working as it should or that the router details have been added/activated correctly on the authentication server.

Plenty of factory restores, resests and migration wizards carried out without success.

getting nowhere fast!

spleen vented satis!

Thanks for listening.

KOSFOB

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Chap authentication failure

A CHAP authentication failure means that it has not successfully authenticated to the EE network & therefore you have not been allowed on the Net. There are 2 causes if this:

1. The BB creds in the router are incorrect.
  2. EE has removed or changed your BB creds at their authentication server.

The BB Username you see in the router is not its default (which is readytoconnect@fs) but your own. It got there as a result of an auto remote config when you 1st hooked it up & waited for it to connect.

A BT eng. will know nowt about your BB creds; they are allocated by EE not BT.

You should try in sequence:

1. Check your BB Username, PRODUCTIONHQNUN123456@FS is the 1 you were given in your Welcome email.
  2. Is the BB Pwd HQNPASS123456 where the digits are the same as for the BB Username?
  3. Factory reset the router & let it auto remote config again.
  4. If all else fails you will have to phone EE & say that their authentication server is not accepting the BB creds that have been config'ed in the router.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

What type of router is it?  (is it a like for like replacement?)

Did the engineer look at the router?  (Openreach don't touch routers normally)

Have you checked with EE Cust. Services that you are using the correct username and login details?     I would double check that as email addresses change etc.  EE would have sent you a crib card with the details on, and they are NOT obvious which login is which.

I would ask on EE CS phone help to speak to techie to go through the router settings with you on phone. (don't use the wizard - he's always busy anyway)

by KOSFOB Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the reply.

It was a replacement router. Brightbox 2 for Brightbox 2.

username password etc as supplied by EE. PRODUCTIONHQNUN etc. Nothing to do with my email address.

Dunno what the engineer did apart from checking with EE. He did a migration as well as a hard reset. He was on the phone most of the time! He wasn't BT/ Openreach I know that much.

He was here for about 20 minutes before he decded that it was a problem in the exchange or with BT.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@KOSFOB wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

username password etc as supplied by EE. PRODUCTIONHQNUN etc. Nothing to do with my email address.

I wonder if that username is a default one for the Router...  Did you type that in? or was it already in the new router?  I would seek advice from CS to confirm the username you should be using.  It will be on docuements sent to you originally.

by KOSFOB Investigator
Investigator

Username is similar to my previous router username. It hasn several digits at the end of it and ends in @fs.

I didn't type it in, it came with the router and this was checked by the engineer so I am assuming that this is correct as it would have been changed then had it not been so.

i will ring EE to see if I can speak to a techie.

thanks once again for taking the time to reply.

by KOSFOB Investigator
Investigator

Tried calling EE CS but call couldn't be completed. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

A CHAP authentication failure means that it has not successfully authenticated to the EE network & therefore you have not been allowed on the Net. There are 2 causes if this:

1. The BB creds in the router are incorrect.
  2. EE has removed or changed your BB creds at their authentication server.

The BB Username you see in the router is not its default (which is readytoconnect@fs) but your own. It got there as a result of an auto remote config when you 1st hooked it up & waited for it to connect.

A BT eng. will know nowt about your BB creds; they are allocated by EE not BT.

You should try in sequence:

1. Check your BB Username, PRODUCTIONHQNUN123456@FS is the 1 you were given in your Welcome email.
  2. Is the BB Pwd HQNPASS123456 where the digits are the same as for the BB Username?
  3. Factory reset the router & let it auto remote config again.
  4. If all else fails you will have to phone EE & say that their authentication server is not accepting the BB creds that have been config'ed in the router.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.