by jezbowden Investigator
Investigator

Cannot cast to Chromecast with BT Sport app (on the 6-month freebie)

Hi,

When I first got the BT Sport app I DEFINATELY could cast the video to my TV using my Chromecast, but recently I don't get the "cast" icon appear on the screen of my phone. Has the ability to cast the video feed been withdrawn? Is this a deliberate ploy to annoy EE's customers?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Cannot cast to Chromecast with BT Sport app (on the 6-month freebie)

Hi, 

This was never part of the BT sports on EE service. 

More details here.

The legal bit

BT Sport app
The app is made available to pay monthly customers on 4GEE handset, SIM only phone and tablet plans as a 30 day rolling Add-On. If you’re a 4GEE WiFi customer, including SIM Only, you’re not eligible for the Add-On. To use the app customers must have a smartphone or tablet containing an EE SIM. All devices must use Android 4.3, Windows 10 or iOS 8 operating systems. The Add-On costs £5 a month and does not form part of your price plan. To use the app you’ll need a TV licence for the household registered to your EE account. BT Sport is for your personal, non-commercial use in the UK. You must not attempt to share, edit or adapt the content made available to you. It’s your responsibility to ensure that content accessed by under 18s is suitable for those viewing it. Content available via the app may change from time to time. When you download and use the BT Sport app, you will use data that may decrement from your price plan’s inclusive allowance.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thats interesting, I have posted a similar comment. I was on the understanding it was NOT chromacastable though and I feel it should be, if they don't include it it gets cancelled.

Highlighted
Investigator

Thanks, but you are incorrect to say "this was never part...".

I absolutely, definitely, 100% WAS able to cast it when I first installed the BT Sport app.

Happy customer to unhappy customer pretty quickly.

by
EE Employee

Hi @jezbowden and welcome to the Community.

As @Northerner has pointed out the ability to chromecast has never been allowed using the BT App with EE.

Viewing on a TV screen:

The BT Sport app cannot be viewed on any digital media players. Mirroring using services such as Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV Stick on televisions, computers or any other portable equipment capable of receiving or transmitting television broadcasts isn’t possible. So you can't sling, fling or cast content from the app on your phone or connected tablet to other digital media players.

Many thanks,

Lee

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Fair enough I believe you.

@jezbowden wrote:

Thanks, but you are incorrect to say "this was never part...".

I absolutely, definitely, 100% WAS able to cast it when I first installed the BT Sport app.

Happy customer to unhappy customer pretty quickly.

Investigator

Thanks Lee_H, but you just repeated what Northener said, which I had already countered.

I repeat (in all its futility)... I was able to cast and now I can't. Sorry you don't believe me but it is actually true!

by motherthugger
Visitor

you definitely can still cast on bt app, I have the app free with broadband and TV,  not ee. I can cast when connected to wifi only, because chromecast needs to be connected to wifi. are you having problems when connected to wifi or mobile data?

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I can cast to the TV from the BT app on a BT account and always have been
able to -, but not via the EE BT (free for 6 months) service.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
by byrongraham

The BT sport app stops being able to cast to a TV using Chromecast when you start using the new FibreOptic Broadband box instead of the older regular broadband box. I plugged my old box back in and now it's casting-no problem. A bit frustrating to be using my old box despite paying for a new one but I want to watch Big Bash Cricket on the big screen baby.

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Are you with BT for Wifi then?

by yatesy2380 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Download the BT Sport app for windows. 

Play it full screen on your laptop and conenct to your TV with HDMI cable. 

That works perfectly for me. 

by Smobio

Agreed, until I got the "Your 6 months free EE BT Sports app is over" message a couple of weeks ago I too was able to cast to my TV through Chromecast. Cannot any longer - typical, would have been nice to finish off the season with tonight's Champions league final!!

by Robjaguar222 Investigator
Investigator

If you read it properly. you CAN NOT cast the BT sport app if you are using it supplied by EE. You can however cast the BT sport app if you have it as part of the BT Broadband package. 

Its pretty pathetic tbh and I for one will not pay for it once my free trial ends or neither will I ever get BT broadband purely because of this. 

by yatesy2380 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I work around this by logging onto the BT Sport website, play a game in
full screen on my laptop, then plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI cable.

This isn't perfect but it works a treat :).

*Michael C Yates*

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.