Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Cancel direct debit in order to pay manually by Amex

Hi everyone,

I want to pay my monthly phone bills using my Amex, and from my understanding, I can't set up a direct debit.

I could see no options on MyEE to cancel my current direct debit and remove the card attached to my account. So I've taken the plunge and cancelled my direct debit by contacting my bank - do I have to inform EE? If so, how?

Secondly, now that my direct debit has been cancelled, how do I pay manually? When I receive a text notifying my bill is ready, do I simply log on and make the payment in full using my Amex? Then I assume when the direct debit date comes EE will simply detect that it's no longer active and allow me to continue to pay manually?

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer this, and putting to rest my concerns about being double charged, or not being notified about making a manual payment by EE.

Many thanks,

Tom 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Cancel direct debit in order to pay manually by Amex

Hi @Rodenby17

If your normal direct debit date is within 5 days of you cancelling your direct debit with your bank, I recommend contacting customer services team to cancel it from our end too.

I can confirm that, as of 17th January 2018, we no longer charge a non-direct debit fee.

There is no extra charge for paying your bills by credit card either.

We do recommend continuing to pay by Direct Debit though, to make sure the payments are made on time. It's easy to forget to pay your bill and it would be one less thing for you to worry about.

Chris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Rodenby17, you could give CS a call, but basically, you can make payments by credit/debit cards through the EE app, then it directs you to your account and a secure payment page. Remember, if you don’t pay by direct debit theirs usually a non direct debit fee added to your bill.

Highlighted
by Profile closed
Not applicable

EE no longer charge anything extra now for paying using a credit card as all card fees have been banned.

From this page:

Please note: we no longer make a charge for any payments made using a credit card.

I presume the same applies to debit card payments as well?

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Rodenby17, regarding taking the payment twice, I think I know what your ssying-if you’ve already got the bill and direct debit is set up, they usually take it approx 7 days after your billing date, so if you paid that bill by credit card after your bill is processed they would still try to take it.Then you’d be in credit when your next bill is due( if that makes sense). 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Profile closed, hi, I didn’t mean a debit/credit card fee, I meant it states that if you don’t pay by direct debit their is a non direct debit fee, I thought it was around £3.50? Unless this as changed.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Seanduds1: It is a non direct debit fee & it is 42p but according to the link @Profile closed posted EE no longer charge it for using credit cards & presumably debit cards; only for cheques & BACS payments.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX, right cheers for that, I knew they used to charge for non fire debit.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Seanduds1: We are seeking clarification whether the non-direct debit fee is still extant & applies to cheque & BACS payments.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@XRaySpeX, I misread that first time, cheers.lol

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Hi @Rodenby17

If your normal direct debit date is within 5 days of you cancelling your direct debit with your bank, I recommend contacting customer services team to cancel it from our end too.

I can confirm that, as of 17th January 2018, we no longer charge a non-direct debit fee.

There is no extra charge for paying your bills by credit card either.

We do recommend continuing to pay by Direct Debit though, to make sure the payments are made on time. It's easy to forget to pay your bill and it would be one less thing for you to worry about.

Chris

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.