by Cloudane Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Can you get Wi-Fi Calling and 4G Calling on data SIMs?

Eyeing up one of the deals that's doing the rounds right now, thing is it's a data SIM, not a phone SIM.  I know it can be used in a phone (and pay full price for any calls/texts, which is fine as I very rarely call or text; I use messenger etc), just wondering if it has the same features... for example it'd still be useful to have Wifi Calling and access to Voice-over-LTE (for extended coverage).  Don't care about things like EU roaming, sport, etc etc.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Can you get Wi-Fi Calling and 4G Calling on data SIMs?

Hi @Cloudane and welcome to the Community.

I have been doing a little digging on this one even before @Chris_B had tagged me.

Unfortunately, data SIMS are not provisioned for the Wi-Fi Calling and 4G Calling features due to the nature of the SIM which is Data only.

Great question though 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Cloudane  I don't believe it is as it's not technically a phone sim and it's for tablets and some tablets allow you to make calls and send text messages from them.  But it's a good question perhaps @Lee_H can help with this.  

by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @Cloudane and welcome to the Community.

I have been doing a little digging on this one even before @Chris_B had tagged me.

Unfortunately, data SIMS are not provisioned for the Wi-Fi Calling and 4G Calling features due to the nature of the SIM which is Data only.

Great question though 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

View solution in original post

by Cloudane Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for looking into that!  That makes a difference, I have a feeling although it'd be saving me the cost of a pint each month it'd not be worth the "hidden" things I'd lose by switching to data-only.  Helps make a decision for me.

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

No problems @Cloudane

I know what you mean, I would do anything for an extra pint of a nice craft ale or a bottle of Jupiler 🙂

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.