by FJS498 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Can’t get repair, replacement or upgrade.

Already have. The guy said doing a sim swap was pointless as it could be a problem with the profile on my sim rather than the physical sim card itself. 

He said the only way to find out if it was a problem with the sim or the handset was to try the phone with a completely different sim. 

I have not been able to do this yet but when the guy phones back tomorrow will be advising him that doing a factory reset and restore doesn’t seem to have solved the problem. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498   Providing the device is not on charge when you check the battery it should not be changing the wear level percentage at all.  This looks like you.have device issue and this needs to be looked at.  

But please try a new install of iOS via iTunes but do not restore from any backup as you could just be putting the issue back on the device when you do this.  

Established Contributor

Have checked it another couple of times and it seems to be staying at 7.64% now. 

Yeah will try resetting it again and see what happens.

thanks

Established Contributor

Ok, 

I have done a factory reset on the phone. I have not restored my content but it has automatically restored my photos and contacts because I input my Apple ID. 

I have ate tried a phone call and FaceTime video and audio calls with the device in this state and it seems to be working. 

Will now now check what that app says for battery wear. 

Established Contributor

App is still reporting battery wear at 7.64% 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498  Your contacts and photos will be back on the device as you’ve signed in to your iTunes account this s OK.  

Established Contributor

I am going to leave the phone in this state for a couple of days and if phone calls and FaceTime working fine then I guess it might have been a problem caused by an app? 

I will I’ll add apps back one at a time to try to determine which one may be causing an issue. 

Hopefully it it is this and not the device which is the problem. 

Thanks for your help. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498  The battery wear is very good and your battery is in very good condition. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498. Please do come back and keep us updated with this.  

Established Contributor

Battery wear has again jumped back up to 13.79% when checked it today. 

Established Contributor

Also looks like resetting the phone and setting it up as new hasn’t worked either. 

Just had to spend about an hour trying to have what should have been a fairly short phone call as the call muted itself and / or cut off, or caused me to hang up and phone back about 8 times. 

So so looks like as per my original post, I am left paying for a service which I can’t use and having paid hundreds of pounds for a faulty phone which EE refuses to repair or replace. 

Technical guy guy is supposed to be phoning me in a couple of hours but I doubt he will say anything new. 

I have already looked at pretty pretty much every forum online regarding this issue and tried every possible solution. 

Established Contributor

And battery wear is back to 7.64% 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FJS498,

The technical team are best placed to help you with this issue.

They'll do their best to find solution for you. If it turns out to be a phone fault, you will be able to get an out of warranty replacement via your insurance.

Thanks

James

Established Contributor

EE tech guy still recommends sim check. Won’t be able to get to a store to do this till Thursday. He is phoning back on Friday for results of this and to see what to do from there. 

Also spoke to Apple support, guy there says also that sim check would be the next step. He did some tests over the phone but says I’d be better to go into an Apple store or send the phone into Apple for further diagnostics. 

In short, EE guy says he doesn’t think it’s the sim / network, and Apple guy says he doesn’t think it’s the handset. 

Both seem to to agree that because I did a factory reset and set up the phone as new and the problem persists, then it can’t be an Apple software (iOS 11) problem. 

So I guess I will see what happens if I ever get this sim check and will report back when I find out if the issue is the sim or the handset. 

Just continuing this this post until issue is (hopefully) resolved, as it may be helpful to other users. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498  Have you by any chance or could you try the SIM card in a different device?   I can not see it being the sim if you’ve already swapped the sim though.  

by
EE Employee

Hi @FJS498

Do keep us up to date in regards to this please.

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Don’t have another device to try the sim in just now unfortunately. Or I would have tried it. 

by

Morning @FJS498

If you're unable to try the SIM in another phone, you can order a replacement SIM card from us to see if this fixes the problem for you.

There are a few ways you can do this, If you pop into an EE retail store they can replace the SIM card for you.

If this is not an option we have an online form you can use to order a new SIM or you can call 150 to get a SIM sent to you.

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Established Contributor

The EE store has already replaced my sim. 

However, both EE and Apple tech support say that this won’t solve the problem. They say the phone has to be tried with a completely different sim i.e. someone else’s. 

They have recommended swapping sims with someone I know for a day or couple of hours to see if the problem persists with this phone. 

Unfortinately, I only know one other person on EE just now and it is the wrong size of sim they have in their phone.

Due to this, I have been advised to go to the EE store and get them to do a sim check where they try a different sim in the phone. 

I’m still not sure that would identify the source of the problem though, as the problem may occur during that time but may not. 

I’m honestly starting to think about just taking an early upgrade but at the same time not happy about spending more money I wasn’t expecting because my phone has stopped working. 

If Apple warranties only last a year then I think it should be the network’s responsibility to cover the second year while the phone is in contract. 

by

Hi @FJS498

I see what you mean, thanks for coming back to me.

If you can let us know the outcome when you are able to try this.

Thanks, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.