Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Can’t get repair, replacement or upgrade.

Currently have an iPhone SE 64GB. 5 months to go on a 24 month contract. Contract ends in June, can get free upgrade from May. 

This phone has worked fine for most of contract. Then started having problems in about Sept / Oct around the time of iOS11 release. 

From this time onwards it has been impossible to have a phone call without it cutting off or going silent or muting one of the callers, causing massive inconvenience. At first this was a minor annoyance but it has gotten worse over time. 

As many people seemed to start experiencing technical problems around the time of this update, I assumed this was what was causing my problems, and hoped that future updates / patches would sort it out. Unfortunately it did not. 

Finally got sick of these problems. Spoke to EE tech support last Thursday. They advised that I had to visit an EE store and get store staff to do a sim check. Tech support said this would determine whether the problem was with the sim or the phone handset. 

I went to the store and ended up being served by the manager. She said it was pointless to do a sim check. Instead, she replaced my sim card and said to see how it worked over a couple of days. She said that if the same problem kept happening then it meant my handset was definitely faulty.

The store manager said that if the handset was faulty they would not repair or replace it.

She said that because it was outwith the one year Apple warranty, there was nothing EE could do. 

She said the only options to get a working phone were for me to either claim it on my insurance or take an early upgrade from EE at a cost of £75. Frankly, I think the least they could have done was offer a free early upgrade as I am paying for a service I can’t use.

I was not happy about this but hoped that the replacement sim would fix the problem. I do not believe the handset can suddenly have developed a fault as if is extremely well looked after and has never been dropped etc. 

Unfortunately the new sim has not solved the problem, which is just as bad as ever. 

Spoke to technical support today who told me that the store manager should not have replaced the sim but instead should have done a sim test as they instructed. The tech support guy said this was the only way to determine if the problem is with the phone handset itself or with the sim.

Obviously this makes sense, and a sim test should have been done when I went to the store on Friday. 

I am now in the situation of having to go back to the store again tomorrow when I really don’t have time, to try to get them to do a sim test. I was also advised to back up all info and perform a factory reset on the phone to see if this helps.

The tech support guy is phoning me back on Monday to finc out the results of this and “take it from there.”

I was not happy about this as I really don’t have time for this at the moment and just need a working, reliable phone service. 

Having thought about the situation, I decided that instead of going through some long drawn out hassle just to get a phone working that I won’t even have for much longer, I may as well just get the £75 early upgradr now, which I was told I would get by the store manager. 

So I ended up wasting even more time looking for an appropriatr phone and plan, then phoned up to arrange the upgrade, only to be told on the phone that to upgradr now will cost me just under £130!

I explained to the guy on the phone what the store manager said, that I was to get the early upgrade for £75 due to this situation, but the guy on the phone just said that the store manager shouldn’t havr told me that and that EE “don’t do that anymore.”

So after paying my bill on time every month and causing no problems in all the time I have been dealing eith EE, I have essentially now been left with no working phone, no option of repair, replacement or upgrade. 

I am pretty much still paying for either a serve I am not getting, or a handset which, when paid off, will be useless as it is faulty.

Due to the time elapsed between the onset of the fault and now, I cannot make a repair or replacement claim on the insurance. It also would not be cost or time efficient to do so. 

I really feel that in this situation the least I should have been offered was a free repair, replacement or upgrade. 

I havr had no problems with EE until now but this situation has made me consider changing networks. 

If the store ever actually does a sim test and finds the handset to be faulty then it looks like I’m stuck with a faulty handset for at least 4 or 5 months, getting cut off on important phone calls etc and seems like only other “option” I’m being offered is to pay £130 for an upgrade, when I didn’t even want to upgrade just now.

This surely can’t be right can it?! 

On every other phome contract I’ve ever had, the store would always, if there was a fault, arrange immediate free repair or replacement and usually provide a stand in handset to use in the meantime too. 

Has anyone else been in this situation? Looking for advice in how to proceed from here. Thanks. 

48 REPLIES 48
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Can’t get repair, replacement or upgrade.

Apologies for typos. Was typing this quickly on phone. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498   Have you connected device to iTunes on PC and restored

the device back to new ?  believe it or not doing over the air updates sometimes causes issues with phones and you actually don’t know why you’ve got an issue. All it is is that you’ve had a faulty installation of iOS and the only way to rectify this is do a clean install and set the device up as new with iTunes on a PC/Mac. 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Thanks for your reply. 

It sounds like that could be the cause of the problem. 

I have always just updated from the phone, not over iTunes. 

Actually I never use iTunes and have no idea how to update the phone using that, but it sounds like it would be worth a try. 

Is it straightforward to do? Would be great if this just resolved the problem. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498 Is really easy.   But if you restore the device to new you’ll loose all your info from the device so make sure you backup your information before you click restore.   

Have a read of THIS  then THIS as you can restore your information back on the device.   But test the device first before you restore it. 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Thanks, doing this now. Hopefully will work. 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Have now tried to do this 3 times and it won’t work. 

Connected phone to itunes, click “Back Up Now” to do a manual back up, then it seems like it’s going to do it but every time a pop up appears which says 

“iTunes could not back up iPhone “iPhone” because the iPhone disconnected.”

Don’t know why it’s doing this, as obviously I’m not disconnecting the phone or even touching it. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498  Can try a different lightning cable and even a different USB port ? 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Yeah it was the cable. Swapped it for a different one and it worked. 

So that’s phone reset and then info restored. 

Let’s hope this solves the problem. Gonna make a couple of quick test calls to check. 

Thanks again 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498  Hopefully this has fixed this for you.  

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @FJS498

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to hear of the problems that you've had with your phone.

I see @Chris_B as offered you some brilliant advice here.

How did you get on with your test calls?

Chris

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Had one normal phonecall which seemed to work ok ( but sometimes it does that so maybe not fixed.) 

Facetime audio is unfortunately still breaking up / muting etc. 

Am going to look into that as a seperate issue.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

OK, thanks for the update, @FJS498.

Please keep us posted.

Chris

Highlighted
Established Contributor

As of today phone calls are back to not working properly again 😞

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@FJS498  Can you please download THIS app ( its free ). And click battery,  now look at wear level.  What does it say ? 

Have you tried doing a clean clean install of iOS with iTunes but set the device up a new and do not restore from a back up.  

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @FSJ498

If you have insurance our technical team will be able to run a diagnostic to have this replaced.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Ok have done that. 

Says wear level 19.95% 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Have spoken to technical team 3 times. Just keep telling me to get the store to do a sim check. 

Highlighted
Established Contributor

It just changed to 13% then 7.64%

Dunno what’s going on with it. 

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @FJS498

Advise them this has been done as you have had a SIM swap and the issues still persist.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.