by missionman Contributor
Contributor

Can I get a Nokia 6 to work with EE wifi calling ?

Hello, forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section, not sure where this belong ?

My wife has a Nokia 6 phone currently with Plusnet (don't support wifi calling) on pay as you go. We do not get any mobile reception in most of our house, ok outside but the house has thick walls etc. I recently read about wifi calling. This sounds like it could be a solution ? I have phoned CPW where the phone was purchased (only available from) and they were as much use as a choclate teapot. I am hoping that someone here could help , please. My wife is on a kidney transplant list and other than a home phone this her only other means of contact. 

If it makes any difference , we are with EE for broadband and home phone (so far excellent service)   Many Thanks for reading and any assistance gratefully recieved. P.S I have found the wifi calling option on the phone settings

27 REPLIES 27
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Can I get a Nokia 6 to work with EE wifi calling ?

1. Unless the phone was purchased from EE you won't have WiFi Calling.
  2. You won't have WiFi Calling on PAYG with EE.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Hello, as I said only CPW sell the Nokia 6 and we weren't aware of wifi calling when we bought it . O2 are the same, it has to be one of their phones as they install software. 

Do You know of any service provider that might be worth trying ?

I would take a contract with EE but presumably still need to buy a phone from them ?

Many Thanks for replying and thanks for your help, 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Dunno about other networks but this is what EE have to say about WiFi Calling: How do I use WiFi Calling?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @missionman,

Welcome to the EE Community.

I'm afraid the Nokia 6 doesn't support EE WiFi calling.

Have you considered taking out an EE contract with a compatible phone?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B wrote:

I'm afraid the Nokia 6 doesn't support EE WiFi calling.

I thought the OP said it did:

@missionman wrote:

P.S I have found the wifi calling option on the phone settings

by

Hi @XRaySpeX,

As the phone is running generic firmware the option to activate WiFi calling may be visible in the menu. This doesn't mean it's compatible with EE WiFi calling unfortunately.

Thanks

James

Contributor

hello, that is looking like a good idea. A second phone would not be out of the question as it is quite important. In fact we could keep it just for the transplant unit. Any idea what would be a reasonably priced option just to recieve/make calls with wifi calling ? Thanks very much for that suggestion , Many Thanks

by

No problem @missionman

You can view all deals for WiFi calling compatible phones in our online shop.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

James

by squinthorizon Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am also looking to buy a Nokia 6 2018, and had an online chat with ee tech in Tyneside. They said it would be fine with both WiFiCalling and 4G Calling. The chat transcript appears below. 

This contradicts what has been said earlier in this thread.

Can anyone shed 100% clarity on the situation?

General Info
Chat start timeApril 24, 2018 6:03:41 PM GMT+04:00
Chat end timeApril 24, 2018 6:17:10 PM GMT+04:00
Duration (actual chatting time)00:13:28
OperatorJosef

Chat Transcript
Info: Thank you for choosing to chat with us. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: You are now chatting with Josef.
Info: 
Josef: 
Hi, welcome to EE, the UK's biggest and fastest network. I'm Josef on EE Tech Chat in Tyneside. How may I help you today?

Neil: Hi. I am going to buy a Nokia 6 2018 or Nokia 7 plus sim free. I have contacted Nokia about WiFiCalling and 4G Calling, and they have confirmed that both phones support both features. If I put an ee SIM into one of these handsets, will WiFiCalling and 4G Calling both work?
Josef: 
Hi Neil, is it a sim only that you are going to get or a pay as you go?

Neil: SIM only
Josef: 
Then yeah; that would work completely fine!

Neil: 100% sure, Josef?
Josef: 
100%! The only time it wouldn't work is on pay as you go. Both a phone contract and a Sim only are compatible

Neil: Brilliant!
Josef: 
Aye! Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Neil: One other question: are ee going to bring back their 4GEE Max SIM only plans?
Josef: 
Not that I'm aware of unfortunately 😞

Neil: Ok: cheers. Thanks for the help.
Josef: 
its okay, take care and enjoy the rest of your day 🙂

Josef: 
Thanks for chatting with me today. I would really appreciate it if you would spend a moment to fill out a short survey by clicking on the 'End Conversation or X button on the chat box which will help me improve. The ratings go from 0-10, any feedback about me would be much appreciated! Thanks

Neil: No worries: have a good evening yourself!
by

Hi @squinthorizon

As far as I'm aware, currently, the only Nokia phones that are EE WiFi calling and 4G calling compatible are the Nokia 3, 5 and 8.

I've asked the question of a colleague to see if there have been any updates to include the Nokia 6 and 7 plus recently that we're not aware of.

I'll let you know once I hear more.

Thanks

Chris 🙂

Valued Contributor

Thanks Chris: that would be helpful.

by

Hi @squinthorizon

Thanks for your patience. 🙂

As we, as a network, don't stock or supply the Nokia 6, we can't guarantee that it would work with WiFi calling or 4G calling, but it should.

As for the Nokia 7 plus, we'll have more information nearer launch. Keep your eye on the coming soon page.

Chris

Valued Contributor

Re: Can I geThant a Nokia 6 to work with EE wifi calling ?

Thanks, Chris 😀

Valued Contributor

Hi Chris. I'm now the proud owner of a Nokia 7 Plus.

Am hoping to switch over to ee from my current provider.

So, will I be able to use ee WifiCalling and 4G Calling (please see the previous contributions to this post).

Thanks in advance.

Neil

by

Welcome back @squinthorizon

I will certainly see what I can find out for you.

Are you still thinking of joining us with a SIM only account?

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

Valued Contributor

Indeed!

by

Thanks @squinthorizon.

I will get back to you when I have further information.

Thanks, Leanne.

Valued Contributor

Any update, Leanne?

by

Morning @squinthorizon

Not yet, as soon as I do I will be straight here to let you know 🙂

Speak soon, Leanne.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.