This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by philsmith_84

Blacklisted phone (possible error) - requesting advice on how to proceed

I purchased a phone from eBay in October 2013. I received the phone shortly afterwards and it was as described - brand new and sealed in the original box. The phone worked for me until August 2014 when I was no longer able to make or receive calls. I sent the phone away for a warranty repair however the phone was sent back with a report indicating the phone had been blacklisted. I then obtained a report from CheckMend which indicated the phone was blacklisted but they had no record of it being reported lost or stolen to Police, Immobilise or ReportMyLoss or as having an insurance claim on it.

I rang EE on 27th Dec 2014 and spoke to an advisor (Steven - wouldn't give his surname) and then his supervisor (Martin Maher) they stated the phone was stolen however they would not give me any further details citing the data protection act.  If it has been reported stolen I would like some further details such as when and by whom.

At this stage I do not know whether anyone has actually reported the phone stolen or whether it is a mistake as the available information seems contraditory. If it was reported lost or stolen by the person I bought the phone off they are committing fraud but EE should be able to unblacklist the phone for me as I have proof of my purchasing and ownership of the phone.

I require a written record so I can take this further. As EE do not provide an email address or postal address does anyone have a suggestion of how I can proceed?

Thanks

Phil

4 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Blacklisted phone (possible error) - requesting advice on how to proceed

As you are not the original owner they can't tell you anything.

They won't be able to give any written proof of who reported it or when.

You bought it second hand off eBay.
It is still classed as second hand even though it was in box and sealed.

You did not buy from a retailer.
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You may have proof of buying the phone but you have no proof the person who sold it had the right to sell it.
Brendon

If you think I helped please take time to press the button below
Community guidelines

EE Contact Details...

150 from EE Mobile
0800 956 6000 (Option 5) from any other phone
0800 079 8586 Home Broadband & EE TV

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The seller shound not of sold this device for the first 6 months of havng the device. Only the person who got it from EE can get this device unblacklisted.
by Legend
Legend

Hi, 

This is a common trick fraudsters play on Ebay. You buy the phone use it for a short time to avoid paypal and then the orignal owner reports it lost and stolen, gets a new phone and insurers with someone else, repeat.......

If you purchased via paypal you can contact them but I am not sure they will do much and if you purchased via your Credit Card you may have some protection but you will need to contact them also.

You also need to contact the police if the seller will not do anything.  

Other than that there is nothing which can be done apart from pursuing the seller via the small claims court. https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.