Highlighted
by Carpman2 Investigator
Investigator

4gee mini wifi box how to charge without computer

Hi. I wanted extra data when we were at our static caravan, so took out a mini wifi box, it came with a usb cable to charge the box via a computer, question, what if I don't have my laptop with me, is there any other way of charging the wifi box?.

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: 4gee mini wifi box how to charge without computer

Hi, 

Yes use a USB plug the same type that comes with 99% of mobile phones or tablets. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
by Grand Master
Grand Master

A phone charger & a USB adapter from micro female to standard female?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Hi, 

Yes use a USB plug the same type that comes with 99% of mobile phones or tablets. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

View solution in original post

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Northerner: Yes, you're right. You don't need a USB adapter. You just plug a generic phone charger into the MBB device.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Carpman2 Investigator
Investigator

Thank you guys, simple solution, I'm sure I will have a phone charging plug knocking around.

Thanks.

by
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Carpman2

Thanks for posting on the community.

Glad you got the help you needed!

Thanks. Leanne 🙂

by darrenpage Contributor
Contributor

Hang on, Northerner.

I have just purchased the EE 4GEE wifi mini device, and I wish to be able to charge it using a 3-pin mains USB charging plug (those mains plugs that have a USB port at the bottom to connect a device in order to charge it).

Different 3-pin mains USB charging plugs have differing current outputs (rated in amps/aka amperes). Some output at 500mA, some at 1A, some at 2A etc.

I am sure you need to be very careful not to connect the device to a 3-pin mains USB charging plug that provides too much current for this device to cope with, otherwise you may end up 'frying' the internal components/circuits and possible even start a fire.

I have tried to find out from EE what is the recommended current for when using a 3pin mains USB charging plug with the EE 4GEE wifi mini device. They simply cannot tell me, even their technical department has no idea. Doesn't fill you with much confidence with EE, on first impressions.

If I am wrong, and someone from EE's technical department can offer me reassurance that the EE 4GEE wifi mini has been designed to be able to handle all current inputs via its microUSB port, from 500mA up to 2A and beyond, I will be glad of the reassurance.

In the meantime, I think it is safest to use a 500mA 3-pin mains USB charging plug. Yes, this means it will take longer to charge, but it will be the safest way to charge via this method of charging.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@darrenpage: Hang on, these chargers don't push current.

Devices take from them only the current they need.

The only problem with chargers is at the other extreme when they provide too little current to satisfy the device, but in this case of charging an MBB device this will only result in it taking longer.

Contributor

Hi, thanks for your message but I've heard different depending on where you look online and who you speak to (everyone claiming to know what they are talking about, of course!).

Until I can be satisfied I won't cause problems with my unit, I will use a 500mA 3-pin mains USB charging plug, though I realise the relatively low current will make the device take longer to charge. Yes, I may possibly be overly-concerning myself in this regard, but I'm the worrying type!

I suppose you could investigate what a standard USB port on a PC gives out, current-wise. This, after all, is the method that EE thinks is the most common way to charge this device. I think a PC's USB 2.0 port gives 500mA current, and a USB 3.0 gives 900 mA current. Is that right? If that is right, I would say it is safe to use 500-900mA with this device.

My Samsung Galaxy Tab S2's mains-driven charging connection outputs a relatively high 2A current, according to the label on it. Wouldn't be too happy to feed a current that high into the device. However, if you are correct, which you may well be, then all of this is unnecesary worrying on my part. I will seek to get this clarified.

by

Hi @darrenpage

Welcome to the community.

I see you have been discussing this with @Northerner and XRaySpeX already.

I completely understand your worries. However, I recommend using the EE supplied equipment, as supplied in the box, to charge the device.

Chris

Contributor

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

With the greatest respect, seeking information in a compltely public way like this, is like trying to get a doctor's opinion on a complaint you have. Speak to three dirrerent doctors and you will get three different recommendations.

I have already spoken to two people at EE, and both say it is fine to charge it using a 3-pin USB charger plug. In fact, alhough no technical information (like the kind I am after) is given, it states you can use such a 3-pin mains USB charger in the setting up fold-out booklet that comes with the product (if I understand the following section correctly: "...4GEE WiFi Mini will work with any standard UK charging head or powered USB port...").

I am about to go on holiday, staying in a remote cottage. I will be bringing my tablet only (along with this device for access to Wi-Fi - I have checked the postcode and it is fine for both 4G and 3G coverage). It will be convenient to be able to charge the device using a mains charger.

Contributor

esRe: 4gee mini wifi box how to charge without computer

"I recommend using the EE supplied equipment, as supplied in the box, to charge the device".

There are no supplied accessories to charge the device, only a USB to microUSB for connecting to a means of charging the device. Why can't they just supply a compatible 3-pin mains USB charging plug. Would have cost pennies to include.

by

Re: esRe: 4gee mini wifi box how to charge without computer

I've just seen that on the quick start up guide, @darrenpage.

That says to me that any USB 3pin charging adapter that meets UK standards will be OK to use.

Chris 🙂

Contributor

HI. One would assume that, but as it is written in such a vague way, if my device's internal circuitry fried as a result of too much current going in through the microUSB port for charging, then I would have no recourse, as there is no specific confirmation that the particular current that a particular 3-pin mains USB charger plug outputs at will be safe to use 😞 It's frankly ridiculous.

On my Panasonc Blu-ray player, for instance, there is a USB port on the front fascia for charging devices. Under the port, it clearly states what current it outputs at (500mA). The MicroUSB port on the device should have a similar label or etching, by/close to the USB port, which clearly states the current it is safe to use with. Ridiculous lack of thought.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't compare output with input in that way.

• Output current is a maximum.
  • Input current is what it needs.

You worry far too much!

Contributor

Yes, I know I do, but, with respect, I don't know you from Adam. Do you have a Physics or Electronic Engineering degree? I'm not being funny but I don't know what is correct and what is not correct, so best to play safe and use a 3-pin mains USB charger plug with just a 500mA rating. I don't care if it will take longer to charge as a result, if it puts my mind at rest that it is safe. Thanks for trying to help and please don't be offended. I have OCD, and worry about things you would think verges on irrational!"

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So, on your theory, if the device could only withstand 0.5 A then when you plug it into a 0.9 A Max USB 3.0 it'll get fried? Then why aren't you told not to that in its Safety Warnings?

Have a read of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB .

Contributor

beacuse any company, no matter who they are, can be lax with any information.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@darrenpage

Apart from your utterly rediculous comparison of GP diagnosis, based opinion your suggestion I couldn't charge my iPhone with a Samsung three pin plug.

Of course you can take and disregard the advice given I this thread,  but if you are so suspicious about the advice given why ask for it in the first place.

If you don't want a plug buy a portable power bank?

I currently charge mine using the LG fast charge 2 charger as below, which outputs a larger charge than the device needs, it hasn't gone nuclear yet.

20170920_224145.jpg

Contributor

"...which outputs a larger charge than the device needs..."". How do you know how much charge the device needs? That's the whole point of me endevouring to try to find this out !!!

Northerner, your comment just now was unnessarily nasty and ill-tempered. You've evidently had a long day. Don't take that out on me. Go to bed and wake up with a refreshed mood.

I do thank you for taking the time to upload a photo of your way of charging for me. What current does that charger you are using output at, please?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.