Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

4Gwifi data being used up very quickly

HI we have 4Gee Wifi at home (as BT is total pants with us - barely 0.3Mb) - and normally our allowance of 64Gb a month is nowhere near what we use. In June we ran out of data and I had to top up £10 three times. Now again in August we are nearly out of data after only 12 days. We do have our daughter home from uni who seems to be on her phone/laptop all the time - but she has been warned after the first time this happened that she should not stream video on high definition. I saw the posts by Iain_L who seemed to be having data being used up faster than he thought it should be. Is there a known issue with this? Should I speak to customer support again and find out what has been happening this month???

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4Gwifi data being used up very quickly

Hi,

EE will not be able to tell you what is using your data. You will have to look locally on the devices.

Can you not set data limits in the router settings so limiting people to what they use?

Thanks,

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I would monitor closely what your daughter is using as it des seem to be happening since uni/shool has broken up.

Even streaming videos in Standard Definition can drain data usage.

Maybe set it turns off at night?

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I can't work out how to do things like limit her data or switch off the router. How to I do this on the router?

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @HelenTaylor3

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

I would recommend firstly having a look at our How much Internet data are you using on EE? support article.

I know @Northerner and @BrendonH have helped you already.

I was just thinking that you may benefit from going on to a shared plan.

What is a shared plan?

In a nutshell, a Shared Plan is an EE offer that lets you add up to five different devices to one inclusive plan.

You won't need separate plans* for each device you use and you'll get one bill at the end of every month, making it much simpler to manage your digital life.

Up to five people can be added to your Shared Plan, making it easy to include the whole family or anyone else you'd like to share your data allowance with.

You can choose how much data to play with - from as little as 1GB to as much as 50GB per month.

Whatever your circumstances or lifestyle, we've got a package to suit your needs.

The devices in your Shared Plan can range from new phones and new tablets to EE SIMs, USB dongles and mobile WiFi devices.

I'd advise to have a look at our shared plan help and support pages for more information.

My daughter was doing the same thing and in the end I simply changed the WiFi password so she couldn't get on the internet 🙂

I may look at a shared plan myself.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Not sure that a shared plan is the thing for this situation. If I could limit her to xgb per day or switch the router off from my phone.... 

I'm saying I won't buy additional data until she tidies her room. That might be sufficient motivation!

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Ah @HelenTaylor3 you have made my day.

No child ever likes to tidy their room, so that is pretty much the best tool of negotiation.

You just watch the gleaming surfaces and the smell of air freshner becoming common place.

I'm rubbish at sales and this is no pitch, but have you ever thought about home broadband with EE?

I think we do unlimited data packages on data, so you wouldn't have to worry again about running out?

Rich

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.