by PaulF1978
Explorer

4GEE Max European Data Speeds

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Smiley Very Happy

I'm currently with O2 and am thinking about jumping ship to EE. I'm looking at a 4GEE Max Plan as I travel to Europe for some of the year and I want to be able to use a decent speed of data connection over there, unlike the terrible service offered by O2.

I've seen that the 4GEE Max Plan will let me "roam like home" and use my home data allowance on the continent.

My question is this; what are the data speeds ACTUALLY like in European big cities on 4GEE Max? I only travel to major cities, so a fast data connection will be available there. If 4G is available in Paris or Berlin, will I be able to use that 4G, or will my "roam like home" be restricted to 3G or lower speeds?

Also, is there a **DAILY** throttling limit like O2? I've seen that 15GB maximum European data is available, but wondered if there is a daily throttling restriction on this even on 4GEE Max.

Vodafone offers 4G "roam like home" as standard, but as their awful customer service is currently getting a thrashing and their handset range is so limited, I don't really want to go with them. EE coverage and speeds seem better to me at home in the UK, too.

Thanks everyone! 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Re: 4GEE Max European Data Speeds

Hello @PaulF1978

Welcome to the Community. Smiley Happy

I've done a lot of traveling in Europe over the last couple of years and I've never experienced any problems.

1. There is no daily limit on how much data you can use from your 15GB roaming data allowance. For example, you can use 5GB or 5MB in a day.
  2. 4G speeds are good, I usually preform a speed test in each country I visit and they are good. You're defiantly not throttled on speeds.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to the EE Community.

1. Inclusive roaming benefits are available to UK based customers only. Your phone must be used in the UK at least once every 30 days to make calls and use mobile Internet.

2. If you’re on a plan that includes roaming benefits, you can use up to 15GB of your plan's inclusive data allowance in our Europe Zone.

3. Cannot comment about EU speeds.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Hello @PaulF1978

Welcome to the Community. Smiley Happy

I've done a lot of traveling in Europe over the last couple of years and I've never experienced any problems.

1. There is no daily limit on how much data you can use from your 15GB roaming data allowance. For example, you can use 5GB or 5MB in a day.
  2. 4G speeds are good, I usually preform a speed test in each country I visit and they are good. You're defiantly not throttled on speeds.

View solution in original post

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@PaulF1978  There is no set speeds when abroad at best you might get up to 20mps on 4G but that's at best. Don't forget it's a roaming network and your not a customer of theirs so you'll not get fantastic speeds like you do when your connected to a home network provider. 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Chris_B

While it's not guaranteed, you can get better speeds than 20Mbps while roaming on some 4G networks abroad.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I have a Vodafone and EE Max plan SIM.

If you go to the USA, Vodafone with their Global Roaming does have a £5 a day option for calls and data. EE with Max plan do not and it costs a fortune. No network has great customer service any more, they are all just battling to be just slightly better than the rest. Unless you feel you will need a lot of customer service, I wouldn't take this into account too much.

Both Networks have been very good with 4G roaming. Speedtests aren't worth looking at, we all know networks can make them appear better than they really are (Three Feel at home, for example).

I'd wait and see what EE do next month if it was me. Vodafone have already released their new plans. EE will likely leave it to the last minute.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

I was in Germany recently and the speed was brilliant much better than the UK. Only minor issue was the 2 sec delay to connect to 4G.

Barcelona was also very fast. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by PaulF1978
Explorer

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Very helpful and informative and some real world experiences too, which is what I was after. That's definitely answered my questions. The only issue now is waiting to see what EE do come June Smiley Frustrated

by LegendaryAced Established Contributor
Established Contributor

EE tends to have a 60Mbps speed cap when roaming in Europe.

Also keep in mind that sometimes you will be steered to a network that EE does not have a 4G agreement with. Make sure you check this list and manual select the 4G network if you have to.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.