by iamgreg Investigator
Investigator

"could not activate mobile data network" iPhone SE (iOS 12.1.2, EE 35.0)

Almost every day, when I go to check email or use an app that uses mobile data, I get this "could not activate mobile data" message. Turning the phone off and on again solves the problem and it will then work for day or so. Having to restart the phone every day, and missing messages if I forget to restart the phone, is getting really old. 

Things I've tried:

- Reset network settings. Doesnt' fix it. 

- Total erase of phone and hard reset, followed by manual reinstall and setup (not restore from backup); that was fun, and didn't fix it.

- Swapping the SIM into a Nokia Lumia. The Lumia works fine (but of course that would count as a restart, and restarting the iPhone solves the problem too, so that doesn't really prove anything).

The same problem occurs most days, regardless of where I am - London, Cardiff, Birmingham, everywhere - all with good 4G coverage - the same issue. And always solved (for a day or so) by turning the phone off and on again. 

The problem started immediately after the iOS12 and EE 33.0 update and everything was working fine before then. Other iPhones on EE (including my wife's iPhone X) don't have this problem, and iPhone SEs with iOS12 but on networks other than EE don't appear to have this problem. 

I've spoken to EE's tech support several times but not solution has been found. Their most recent suggestion was to buy a newer phone. Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: "could not activate mobile data network" iPhone SE (iOS 12.1.2, EE 35.0)

Hello there @iamgreg

Welcome to the community.

It does sound like you have tried everything we would ask you to try for this message.

Have you had a replacement SIM card at all?

Speak soon, Leanne.

by iamgreg Investigator
Investigator

Re: "could not activate mobile data network" iPhone SE (iOS 12.1.2, EE

Hi Leanne, 

No, its the original SIM from the start of the contract. All worked great until the iOS12/EE33.0 update. Since then this problem has occurred more or less daily. 

I've actually just got off the phone with Apple support but no resolution. The nature of the problem means its hard to know if it's solved because it doesn't reoccur (after the phone's been restarted) until a day's passed or the phone has moved out of EE coverage area, back in, and then out again.  I've updated just now to iOS 12.1.3 so I guess there's always a chance one of these updates might fix the bug (none of the previous ones has though!). 

A newer phone - as EE suggested - might resolve the issue, but I'd rather understand what's causing the problem (ie phone or network) and get it fixed. 

by

Hi @iamgreg

Thanks for coming back to me.

If this happens again after the update, can you use the EE Network Status Checker and enter the details for the area you are in.

This will show you if any service problems are in the area and could be causing this.

Let me know how you get on.

Leanne.

by iamgreg Investigator
Investigator

Well, thanks, but it's definitely not related at all to network coverage, because:

1) The issue occurs in Amersham, London, Birmingham, Cardiff and basically everywhere, including areas with known-good 4G coverage;

2) The issue is resolved immediately by turning the phone off and on again;

3) The issue never occurred, in any of these places, prior to the iOS 12 & EE 33.0 update

by

Hi @iamgreg

I would suggest seeing if this happens again after the update.

If you do get this message again let us know.

Thanks, Leanne.

by iamgreg Investigator
Investigator

Apologies for the delay in posting again.

Unfortunately, the issue was not resolved by the update and still occurs almost daily.  

I have no idea what else to try. I'm seemingly stuck now in a contract with a phone and service provider where I have to remember to turn the phone off and on again every day in order to use mobile data, which is getting very old now and isn't really OK.

by

Re: "could not activate mobile data network" iPhone SE (iOS 12.1.2, EE 35.0)

Thank you very much for keeping us updated @iamgreg

I am sorry to hear this has not been resolved by the latest update. 

I have sent you a private message for further information, please take a look and get back to me. 

Katie 🙂

by iamgreg Investigator
Investigator

Have replied. Not sure what yet another call will achieve, but I'll give it a go.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.