Highlighted
by pjscott
Explorer

ipad esim plan for visitors

I live in Canada and just acquired an 11" iPad Pro. I'm going to be visiting the UK for three weeks in March and I'd like to have a cellular data plan active as soon as I land. I find the information on this confusing; for one thing, just about all of it is for iPhones and I want a data-only plan.

I discovered that my iPad has an eSim.  Settings offers the option to add a new plan, but the only providers listed are AlwaysOnline and GigSky. Apple's page suggests I should see other providers in Canada, doesn't list AlwaysOnline, and GigSky's web site doesn't list eSim as an iPad option.  So I'm confused. But EE is listed by Apple as the UK provider of eSim service, so here I am.

Will I see EE as an option in the iPad settings when I arrive in the UK? Will I be able to get a plan for my visit that isn't a repeating subscription? Where can I see what the rate is?

I'd very much rather not have to wait to visit a store to get the service enabled, I'd like to be online when the plane has reached the gate. The whole premise of eSim seems designed for this situation.

I thought this would be easy to discover but a half hour of Googling has not produced any certainty. Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: ipad esim plan for visitors

You can't use an eSIM on EE PAYG ("a non repeating subscription").

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
4 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

You can't use an eSIM on EE PAYG ("a non repeating subscription").

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @pjscott

Welcome to the community. Smiley Happy

Is it maybe an Apple SIM that your iPad has? The image on the page that I linked to might help clear that up.

Chris

by pjscott
Explorer

Hello, no, it is not an Apple SIM.  I have the 11-inch iPad Pro, therefore according to the table you linked it has the eSIM.

@XRaySpeX thanks for the clear answer.  I can't use my eSIM on EE for a visit then. Seems like a poor business decision, but there it is. I have to see whether AlwaysOnline or GigSky can help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome Smiley Happy! Glad I could be of assistance.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.