by Whiskersan
Explorer

iPhone 6S Plus unable to activate mobile data

Hi, on my account my wife has a 6S Plus bought unlocked from John Lewis, last year I ported it over from the old Orange SIM she had to a pay monthly on EE with 2GB data. Since then she frequently gets the ‘unable to activate mobile data’ message when she tries to use iMessage or Safari when out and about. Powering off and on seems to fix it temporarily, I have reset network settings but the same thing re-occurs, it actually seems to be exactly the same as the scenario outlined in this thread https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Apple/quot-could-not-activate-mobile-data-network-quot-iPhone-SE-iOS/t... which doesn’t seem to contain a conclusion. Does anyone have any further thoughts/advice.

PS I have an iPhone X with a SIM obtained at exactly the same time and suffer no such problems

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: iPhone 6S Plus unable to activate mobile data

@Whiskersan   Have you tried restoring the device back to new ?  Backup the device on a PC with iTunes ( it’s quicker than iCloud to restore from ) and then click restore device.  Set the device up as new and test it for a few days, if all is ok you can then restore the device back with the backup you made so all the information is back on the device. 

by Whiskersan
Explorer

Hi Chris, thanks. Sorry, should have clarified, that, as per the other thread I have tried a restore & set up from new and it still happens

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Whiskersan  would you be willing to swap the Sims over between your device and the iPhone 6s and test it for a few days. it'll clarify if it's the device or the sim,. If it's the SIM you can request a replacement sim.  If it's the device I know John Lewis give you 24 months warranty so you could get a replacement device from them.  . This will mean you use the 6s for a few days to see if the issue pops up and what device it pops up on.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Whiskersan

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I see @Chris_B has offered you some brilliant help and advice here already.

It'd be ideal if you could try swapping the SIMs. If you can't try that, I recommend speaking to our Tech Gurus who'll be able to help you further.

Chris

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions