by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

how do I register an imei in my name

I am buying a used iPhone and would like to register the imei in my name, how do I do this please? 

14 REPLIES 14
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: how do I register an imei in my name

Hi @Ellebee

You cannot. The original owner will always be the original owner. It's very risky buying from unofficial resellers, just ask yourself is the deal too good to be true? 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't need to. If you own the phone legitimately you own it outright.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I’m worried the previous owner may block it using the imei and thought if I registered it in my name that could be avoided, if they block it then it’s useless to me 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ellebee  If they block it why are they blocking it. If they are going to claim on insurance then that’s fraud and you should go to the police about it. 

Where are you buying it from ? 

by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

Hi I am buying it second hand and they have started sounding a bit suspicious (I know I should really avoid but the deal is done now) I know how to check it isn’t blocked but I’m worried they may report it lost etc and then block it and claim the insurance etc,  could I ring their provider and register it in my name showing proof of purchase so that the previous owner can’t block it? It’s originally brought sim free not contract 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There's nowt you can do to stop them doing that. Once they have done that no provider will un-blacklist it for you. Nor will any provider change the registered ownership on your say-so.

The only thing in your hands to avoid that is not buying 2nd-hand in the 1st place but if you do buying from a reputable platform like eBay where you can raise a case of mis-description.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

It was brought sim free outright and I will have the warranty paperwork, does that change things? Can I then register as it’s legal owner so they can’t claim on insurance and block it? Thanks 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, as I said you can't register as anything. You never bought this from the original network. 

by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

But it wasn’t brought from a network it was brought sim free and unlocked so in effect it was brought as a pay as you go handset 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Ellebee

If you are purchasing a device that is not purchased directly from EE or via a 3rd party (not including 2nd hand devices ) yourself it can not be registered to you.    

The device is 2nd hand and no matter what the IMEI number can not be registered to you.    For all EE knows you might of “found” the device so now want to say is yours because you might be able to register it to your own account. 

EE can not register that device in your name ever.    Even payg handsets get registered to an account when you set them up correctly.    If that device has been purchased as a contract device or a PAYG device on someone’s account it will remain on their account.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I meant "retailer":

@XRaySpeX wrote:

You never bought this from the original network retailer

by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

Ah I see, I’m with EE so will be using it on EE but the person brought it sim free from Carphone warehouse (and has the paperwork) so when he put his SIM card in it registered to him and that cannot change even with the sale of it?  That’s crazy, if I can prove iv brought it I should be able to register it, it’s a good job they don’t do that with cars! 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Give it up! It does not matter. As long as the seller does not commit fraud, which you are unable to prevent, you may continue to use this phone legitimately on EE w/out hindrance.

If you bought a stolen car it would soon be repossessed from you even if somehow you managed to register it with the DVLA before it was reported stolen.

by Ellebee Investigator
Investigator

There is no need to be nasty,  please dont reply if I’m annoying you! the phone isn’t stolen, if I brought a car from it’s rightful owner then he reported it stolen all I would have to do is prove I brought it then he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on, the same should go for phones 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.