Highlighted
by nigel_watkins_1 Investigator
Investigator

Why can’t I call and text from lanzarote?!

Despite having unlimited calls and texts in my package, along with roaming etc, I have arrived in Lanzarote to find my phone will do neither function. Am restricted to using unreliable hotel WiFi to scrape by. Currently connected to Vodafone ES, have never had this problem before in 10 years of coming here - this is my visit with EE A’s contract provider😕

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Why can’t I call and text from lanzarote?!

@nigel_watkins_1  Did you enable roaming on your account before you left the UK ?   Having the ability to use your allowances when in the EU doesn’t mean roaming is enabled on your account.   Roaming being enabled on your account is not part of your contract with EE and is a service that has to be enabled by yourself by texting ROAMING to 150 or by calling customer services and requesting it to be enabled.   You might be able to enable it via your online account yourself. 

8 REPLIES
Investigator

Thank you! I had not enabled prior (always worked in the past with Vodafone) but seems likely root of problems now 🙁 grrrrrrrr

Sent from my iPhone
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nigel_watkins_1 and welcome to the community.

So I can try and help, please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

iPhone: Go to Settings > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want.

Android: Open the Settings menu >Tap More > Mobile Networks > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want

Please, also can I get you to try and dial a friend or family member using the format of 00447********* and try using data. 

Did this work?

Are you able to receive calls?

Many thanks,

Lee

Investigator

Hi Lee,

thank you for getting back so quickly. I have tried each of your suggestions without success:

I can neither make nor receive calls with any of the providers listed, and altering the number format does not help either.

The hotel WiFi seems to have stabilised, so I guess I’ll make do with that, and change my provider when I get back home. Vodafone never let me down like this 😕

by

Hi and welcome to the community @nigel_watkins_1

This is very unusual, please do get in contact with our customer service team.

Please try using the freephone number via Skype Smiley Happy

Many thanks,

Lee

by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@nigel_watkins_1  Did you enable roaming on your account before you left the UK ?   Having the ability to use your allowances when in the EU doesn’t mean roaming is enabled on your account.   Roaming being enabled on your account is not part of your contract with EE and is a service that has to be enabled by yourself by texting ROAMING to 150 or by calling customer services and requesting it to be enabled.   You might be able to enable it via your online account yourself. 

Investigator

I had not enabled roaming before leaving the UK. It had not been made clear to us that this was necessary, and it would never have occurred to me that this was the problem as I have had experience of two carriers in the past (ID and Vodafone), and in neither case have we had to do anything like this. EE’s own communication is confusing on this point- when we acquired the phone at CarPhone Warehouse we understood that roaming is part of the package, but no enabling proviso was passed on. In the EE app it tells me about the package but again fails to tell me about enabling roaming- given that, at this point, I was in Lanzarote with location services enabled I think the app could have warned me and presented enabling options. Later, we found some enabling information that instructed us to phone 150. This presented us with the Catch-22 situation where we picked up a message saying “that function is not available call customer services”. Aaaaaargh! The people on the forum were helpful, and I can now see they probably knew what the problem was, and were very politely pushing me in the right direction. It took me almost 24 hours before I located an international number for EE customer services and 10 minutes later it was sorted! Please update the app to make this obvious and easy!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nigel_watkins_1  Being able to use your allowances when in the EU is one thing as that is now standard but having roaming enabled on your account is not part of the contract and EE are a company that you have to request this to be enabled and what  other networks do is not relevant and you based  what you expected with your experience with other networks.so unfortunately at that point your issues was going to happen as you did nothing about finding out about what to do when you go abroad with a EE device.  

by

Hello @nigel_watkins_1

Thanks for coming back to us.

Roaming is subject to your credit status and a deposit may be required, this is not automatically set up on a pay monthly account.

Within the My EE app there is a roaming section in 'your plans and add ons' this does give you information on roaming and getting set up.

Thanks, Leanne.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.