by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Use an esim for our upcoming UK vacation from the us?

My wife and I have iPhones, which have the eSim capability.   We live in the US, but will be vacationing in the UK in August/September.   Looks like an eSim is the right solution to keep us connected but not pay US international roaming fees...   Does an eSim work with a different carrier than our 'other' sim?    And how do I tell what plans are available with an eSim (am assuming we just need a couple of months of connectivity).   Thanks in advance...

19 REPLIES 19
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Use an esim for our upcoming UK vacation from the us?here

Hi @tomb1975 

Welcome to the EE Community,

unfortunately to use esim on EE you need to have a pay monthly contract which is subject to a UK credit check and as your a US citizen you wouldnt pass it as you havent had a address for at least the last three years here in the UK.

Thanks,

David. 😊

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

As long as you have an unlocked iPhone, you could get an eSIM from one of the few worldwide providers, listed here. They aren't great value. You'd be better off getting a normal pay as you go SIM when you land, but then you wouldn't be able to use your US one at the same time.

How much does your current provider charge to roam? It may just be easier to do that.

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Sadly my current provider charges quite a bit.  We used to have T-Mobile, and international data and text was included.    When we travel on vacation to the UK we really don't use the calling portions of our plan, so one of the 30 day ones where we can get a bit of GPS/mapping and some texts would be adequate.   Still, the sim swap may be our best option.   Have some time, we don't head to Edinburgh until August.

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, David...  So, then, how do people 'buy' a sim at the airport?  Or is an eSim different from a physical sim in that regard?   

by
EE Community Team

Hi @tomb1975,

Welcome to the community 🙂

I hope you have lots of great things planned for your trip! I love Edinburgh. Have you been before?

I can see you have been given lots of suggestion already for using our eSIM in the UK.

We do have a number of pay as you go packs too. You could buy a pack that gives you more data than calls and texts if that's what you need and top it up as and when you need it while you are travelling.

You would need to ensure that your iPhone is unlocked to use a different physical network SIM card.

Alex 🙂

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, Alex_S, yes we have been a number of times and really enjoy the city...   My wife will get there first this year, doing a needlework workshop, and I'll join her later.   I think we will just go into the EE store on Prince's street on arrival, and let the store folks guide us.   Am thinking a 30 day plan should do the trick, mostly text and data (maps), as our stay this year is about 4 weeks.   And if we get it right,  hopefully we can reinstate the plan for future trips (we try to travel to the UK or Europe every year).   

Appreciate the response.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

N.B. EE PAYG SIMs need to be kept activated by making a chargeable action at least once every 6 months.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

OK, XRaySpeX, still trying to understand EE plans...   Looking at their site, it seems possible to sign up for a 30 day plan, not a PAYG plan.   And that the 30 day plan would simply need a 30 day notice about non renewing....   Don't want to 'game' it, but am hoping that the 30 day plan is an option.....

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It might be an option but it'll be a one-shot. Once you cancel it after 30 days you won't be able to resurrect it next year. Also you probably still need to pass a UK credit check as it is a contract.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

That makes sense....    Happy to 're submit' for another contract in 2020 when we return... Will chat with the store folks to make sure we are doing it right....   We won't need the 'same' number, just the ability to communicate between us while we are traveling, not to our US friends...   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then a UK credit check will be the problem. You'll end up with PAYG SIM as the only option.

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Sigh...   That will be sad, but you never know.   Worst case we just don't really have cell service on vacation.   Or we pay the extravagant fees for our US international roaming.  

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

might just see if we can sign up on the web....  Worst case they reject our application.

by
EE Community Team

@tomb1975,

@XRaySpeX is right, you would need to pass a credit check for the SIM only plans.

The pay as you go SIM would be ideal. You can top it up, use the data text and calls and then just throw it away.

If you still have credit on the SIM when you leave, all you need to do is make a chargeable call in 6 months and it will remain active for you. Then you can keep the same SIM card and number for the next time you travel to the UK or Europe.

Alex 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alex_S wrote:

all you need to do is make a chargeable call in 6 months and it will remain active for you.

Yes, all you need do to keep an EE PAYG SIM alive when back in USA is send a text to a US friend within 180 days & all it'll cost from your credit is 60p.

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, all...  

by Eechelsea Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Y don’t your move your permanent USA SIM card to the e sim. Then use the physical sim slot for your international roaming. Just pay a pay as you go SIM card and add as much credit and data as you need. Won’t cost more than once off £20 at most 

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, that's our current plan...   Not sure our current provider does e-sim, but that's easily corrected!

by tomb1975 Investigator
Investigator

So, checked with our US provider, Verizon, and at this point they do not support esim accounts.    Looks like the 'buy a sim on landing' is likely our best option.   Will run into the EE store on Princes street on arrival and get them to guide us.

Thanks all for the input on this forum.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.