by Richhho

Upgrade Anytime

Hi,

I have upgrade anytime on my contract, and my app tells me I can upgrade on 26th Jan for no fee. However, I have a friends and family discount applied to my contract. Will this be carried over if I upgrade on 26th? I was told yes in a chat with an advisor but just want to check before I waste hours in store. 

Thanks 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Community Support Team
Solution

Re: Upgrade Anytime

Hi @Richhho.

Welcome to the community 🙂

Your discount will remain on your account as long as your friend or family member still works for EE.

Hope this helps.

Jon

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
by
Solution

Hi @Richhho.

Welcome to the community 🙂

Your discount will remain on your account as long as your friend or family member still works for EE.

Hope this helps.

Jon

View solution in original post

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi guys,

Quick question - I’m on a Smart Plan with anytime upgrade. When I come to upgrade, are there any restrictions on what plan I choose? Ultimately I’ve changed jobs and want to move from an iPhone XS Max to an iPhone 11 Pro as I don’t want a large phone anymore, but on all the options online it says I can’t upgrade to that device. The only one I can upgrade to is something higher spec and on a higher plan than what I’m on now. This isn’t what I’m looking for...?

by

Hi @plymouthbloke,

Welcome back to the community. 🙂

When upgrading with Upgrade Anytime, the new monthly payment must be at least the same as or higher than the monthly payment for your current plan.

Hope this helps.

James

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

So, this means to upgrade to a smaller iPhone 11 Pro, I have to choose a 512GB model which is totally over spec to my requirements (because the 256GB I wanted would cost me £5 less a month), and stay on a plan which may not necessarily be suitable anymore?

Hmmm.... not made 100% clear when taking the plan out.... this has effectively limited me to only having an iPhone on Upgrade Anytime - not only that, but a top end high spec version that I may not want. If I wanted to move to another brand I’d have to wait until the end of the contract. 

EE get the old phone back, so the next phone and plan shouldn’t have restrictions attached.

If I’d have known about this restriction I wouldn’t have chosen the smart plan. I’m not overly happy about this..... if this really is the policy then it’s not really “Upgrade Anytime” is it? It’s “Upgrade Anytime as long as it’s a phone and plan we state you can have, even though you pay £5 a month more for the privilege of doing so... oh and your new plan can’t be better than the old one”. I know at that point I wouldn’t have bothered.

As you can probably tell, I’m a bit miffed. But that’s fine. I’ve got just under 12 months left so I may just stay with my current phone and then I’ll just go elsewhere and take 3 lines away when the time comes. Shame really....

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I’ve just had a look at the hidden “Legal Bit” and the requirement is in there. OK, so I didn’t look at that so it’s my fault, but you have to admit, it’s a pretty silly rule if you’re handing the phone back anyway as it can, in the case of expensive devices, tie you to an expensive plan and may restrict your phone choice should you actually decide to exercise the right to upgrade anytime.

Remember that you’re paying extra for the privilege to do an early upgrade so to have restrictions like this just smarts. It really should be made clearer on the main page and not hidden away.

I doubt I have any reason to complain so I’ll just have to put up and shut up until next February but make no mistake, I will be reviewing my options.

by

Hi @plymouthbloke.

Sorry to hear that you've not happy with our Upgrade Anytime terms.

Upgrade Anytime is an option. If you wanted to move to a cheaper plan with a different phone, you can do so in your normal upgrade period, towards the end of your contract.

Chris

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I’ve since migrated back down to my original Max Plan from the unlimited Smart Plan I changed to, in order to see if my options widened with regards to upgrade.

Whilst they do, I think I’ll wait for the new iPhone to come out and see what the pricing is like across all the networks... I’m also assuming if I did upgrade early I’d also be obliged to upgrade to another Smart Plan with upgrade anytime? I couldn’t choose a standard plan without that option?

by

As long as the plan is the same or higher as your current plan, you can choose any plan you want going forward, @plymouthbloke.

Chris 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions