Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
Highlighted
by mike_n5
Visitor

UK ringing tone when abroad and Airplane Mode

Hi,

I have two questions about using my iPhone abroad. I will be making a short trip abroad next month and I don’t want people calling my mobile to know I am away from the UK.

• If someone calls my number while I am out of the UK, will they hear the UK ringing tone or the overseas one?
  • If I activiate roaming and use my phone abroad to make calls and then put it on Airplane mode, would callers hear the standard EE voicemail message or the message from the overseas carrier?

Thanks for your help!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Maestro
Maestro
Solution

Re: UK ringing tone when abroad and Airplane Mode

The ringing tone will be the same as normal, though it will probably take a second or two to initially connect if someone calls you whilst roaming.

If you put the handset in airplane mode, callers will automatically get put through to you voicemail, which will incure you a roaming call charge so it's always a good idea to turn off your voicemail when roaming. This can be done by sending a text with the phrase VOICEMAIL DIVERT OFF to 150.

More details found at http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming---using-your-phone-abro...
5 REPLIES
by Maestro
Maestro
Solution

The ringing tone will be the same as normal, though it will probably take a second or two to initially connect if someone calls you whilst roaming.

If you put the handset in airplane mode, callers will automatically get put through to you voicemail, which will incure you a roaming call charge so it's always a good idea to turn off your voicemail when roaming. This can be done by sending a text with the phrase VOICEMAIL DIVERT OFF to 150.

More details found at http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/roaming---using-your-phone-abro...
by WJBond
Visitor

Hello, is the jmitchel response still correct OR has the process changed. I spoke to EE Customer Services the other day and they didnt completely sure and suggested that the dial tone would be an international sounding tone rather than the default UK dialling tone. Note: EE said the dial tone will be international so that it indicates to the dialler that they are dialling / paying for an international call.

While i am away in Europe (not in uk) my ideal solution would be as follows:
- Clients hear a UK dial tone when ringing me while I am abroad (so they dont know if / when i am abroad)
- If i put the handset in Airplane mode then:
- would like calls to go through to voicemail which i can pick up at my convenience.
- would like to be able to receive text messages and be able to reply

Will making use of the Airplane mode feature make a difference to what the client dialler will hear?

Clarification of the above would be very appreciated.

Thank you
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What is put above still stands and the ringer will sound the same in airplane mode. In fact I think it will go straight to voicemail.
by scottloftus

Following on from your post. 

My ringtone still has an international tone when I am away I have been told. 

Mia there a way to make it so the ringtone still sounds like an English ringtone. 

Ee tech have said that it connects to their aerial then it will ring on their tone. Is there something that can be done? 

Scott 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello there @scottloftus

Thanks for coming to the community.

I am sorry, we are unable to change the international tone when you are abroad.

Hope you're having a lovely time.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions