Highlighted
by infosec Investigator
Investigator

TMF 12 Error when attempting to activate Apple Embedded SIM on new IPad Pro

Desperately seeking help from an EE employee that can help...

I have just purchased a brand-new (fresh out-of-box) iPad Pro 10.5 Cellular model - and am trying to activate EE Service on the EMBEDDED (i.e., built-in) Apple SIM from the iPad Mobile Data Settings page.

When attempting to select EE from the four available carriers, I see only ever get as far as this “TMF 12” error:

F4F674CC-9690-48FD-BF8E-0BE4B1EC2F95.jpeg

I have called EE Tech Support - who don’t appear to have any clue as to what an iPad “embedded Apple SIM” is, or how it’s used, suggesting that it’s not something supported by at all by the EE network.  To my astonishment, EE Tech Support only seem to understand a physical SIM with a contract (which for various reasons is not an appropriate solution for my needs) or eSIM (which is a different and even newer technology applicable to the newest iPhones).  

The iPad Pro 10.5” was chosen specifically because of the ability to provision “low cost” mobile data when needed directly from the iPad when travelling - as needed - and not to necessarily tie it to a contract.

I’ve searched through these forums, and find multiple occurences of the “TMF 12” error described - and posts from EE employees suggesting that this issue is known and at the time being worked upon - but I can’t find a single one of these postings where a fix has actually occurred or reported in this Support Community.

At present, I have no idea if the TMF 12 error is a fault with the new iPad - or a problem with EE network or systems.  Apple tell me to talk to EE as they are the service provider, which I have tried;  EE Tech Support are telling me that EE doesn’t support this type of SIM.  Obviously, the ability to sign-up for Mobile Data  service from the iPad is a feature that EE have deliberately partnered with Apple to provide - but nobody appears to want to help find and fix a problem when it occurs.

At present, I’m desperately trying to establish if this is an EE fault that can be fixed.  Apple have run tests on the iPad and tell me there is no fault.  For info, the iPad i running the latest version of iOS - 12.1.3.

Help with escalating this problem would be very gratefully received as this is an urgent problem needing a fix.  

4 REPLIES 4
by
EE Community Support Team

Re: TMF 12 Error when attempting to activate Apple Embedded SIM on new IPad Pro

Hi @infosec

Welcome to the community. 🙂

I would love to try any get you some help with this, could you please reply to the private message that I've sent you?

Thanks 🙂

Chris

by
EE Community Support Team

Just a quick suggestion too, @infosec, could you try force closing the Settings app and try it again?

Chris

by infosec Investigator
Investigator

For clarity, every possible permutation on forced App closure, restart, reset and complete reinstallation of iOS using iTunes has been attempted.  

Remote diagnostics have been completed by senior Apple Support staff; no hardware or iOS issues have been identified.

by infosec Investigator
Investigator

For the benefit of anyone that comes across this discussion while seeking a solution to TMF12 errors related to failed activatation of an Embedded Apple SIM on their iPad, in my case, this issue was never resolved by EE.

Two brand-new iPad Pro devices later, and after extensive diagnostics by Apple, my Embedded Apple SIM(s) has (have) never, ever, been successfully activated on the EE Network; the EE-generated TMF12 error occurs every time!

Most EE Staff and Customer Service Agents haven’t a clue about Apple SIM - embedded or physical - what it is, or how it is intended to work.  The only way to activate Cellular Service on an iPad that features Apple SIM technology, appears to require that you obtain a physical SIM from EE - completely bypassing the entire point of Apple SIM and the flexibility that it is supposed to provide to travelers in being able to instantly activate Cellular Service with a participating carrier.  In the UK, EE is the lead carrier for Apple, so EE not reliably supporting this feature is somewhat surprising.

In summary, if you see a TMF12 error when attempting to activate an Apple SIM, you would be well advised to find another outlet for the time and frustration you will waste attempting to liaise with EE - and if directed to Apple Support, you’ll likely spend many more hours struggling to find a Support Agent that has knowledge of Apple SIM; if remote diagnostics are run, you’ll find that your hardware is good - and be refered back to EE where you started your quest.

Given that EE will not be able to determine how many have tried and failed to activate service - and have simply gone elsewhere - they’ll not have metrics to quantify lost revenue.  Perhaps the projected revenue for Apple SIM is so low that they simply can’t justify the effort to support this feature, prefering instead to concentrate their resources on customers that must directly engage with them through sourcing and activating physical SIMs with EE.  If so, this strategy does have one benefit to the consumer; EE are not able to lock/hibernate or otherwise disable your Embedded Apple SIM.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.