by bety1247
New Member

Start a new plan

Hello, I'd like to know if my mother can start a monthly plan if she has six months in England?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Start a new plan

@bety1247   You’ll need to speak with customer services about this or go to a store.  You need a PAYG or 30 day rolling contract.  It would be best to have a PAYG as you wouldn’t need to give notice to terminate it as you would with a 30 day rolling contract. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Start a new plan

If she's not a UK resident she won't pass a credit check for a contract. So PAYG would be her only option.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions