Make your house a smart home - with help from EE
by Cjd000 Investigator
Investigator

Sending sms text using iPad

Hi,

I've just signed up to the EE 10g data plan with free iPad. I can't seem to send sums messages to mobiles but I was lead to believe in the store that this would be possible.

Can anybody please help? I know how to do it but my iPad won't allow it

Thanks,
Chris
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Sending sms text using iPad

If you have a iPhone you can link it to that and send texts to none iDevices but if you do not you can only send iMessages to other iDevices. You need to setup a iTunes account and turn on iMessage in Settings>Messages
6 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

If you have a iPhone you can link it to that and send texts to none iDevices but if you do not you can only send iMessages to other iDevices. You need to setup a iTunes account and turn on iMessage in Settings>Messages
by Cjd000 Investigator
Investigator

From further digging I understand that the iPad can use the sms service along side iMessage and as the sim has a phone number, this should be able to work.

It appears that the sums service is disabled for the data only sims which is really disappointing and leading me to reconsider if I've gone for the right tariff.

Very disappointing as I assumed sms was just another form of data. It's not a problem for ee to enable to sms service, they just don't!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sms are not a form of data. That's why you have a text and a data plan on phones. iMessages is data. But you can link your iPhone with your iPad so you can text from your iPad but it comes from your text allowance on your iPhone. It's a new feature of iOS 8.
by Cjd000 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Burge,

Can you please point me in the right direction for how I link the iPad to the iPhone for this?

Thanks,
Chris
by Cjd000 Investigator
Investigator

Just worked it out from the link you sent. Turn out my iPhone 3gs is too old to support this feature
Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions