Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Phone out of warranty but faulty and huge upgrage

SE playing up. Two year EE contract to Nov 2020. Cuts out randomly but battery shows 91%. Tried Apple/EE shop/customer phone service. Everyone says something different but will not budge on fee. Am stuck between Apple/EE but essentially being asked to pay £143.- for dud phone/inflexible two year contract. Both blame the other. Thank you. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator
Solution

Re: Phone out of warranty but faulty and huge upgrage

I was going to...let it go...but asked if responses were ‘helpful’ so what I have learnt is as follows:

you get a phone that works with a one year warranty and a two year contract

three weeks after one year Apple slow it down to prolong life (or possibly promote sales) 

the phone starts cutting out randomly (meanwhile Apple gets fined a paltry sum)

you are now out of warranty but your contract is with EE who are not responsible because you didn’t get the insurance that may not have been available until the summer after you got the phone - according to an employee of EE

so you learn that, as a loyal customer, you are piggy in the middle and it’s all your fault

that selling something that isn’t fit for purpose is fine - that the phone having it’s brain remotely messed with is fine - that not taking out insurance, that possibly you didn’t know you needed (after all it may not have been available and needing insurance for the contract period by extension implies the system is shoddy) is your own stupid fault 

that now I probably have to buy a new phone or suck up the extra costs 

that at no point has anyone offered to look at the phone in depth because neither company want to deal with the elephant in the system 

so, terrible film but good message (‘Liar, Liar’) I have to take it up the **** like an imp****t jerk

as such then yes, the advice has been most helpful, thank you.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dorothea1800 

If the device is out of warranty then you will need to pay for repairs or maybe replace the phone.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Snag is I am stuck between a faulty phone, which I have not broken and a 24 month contract, which I cannot change. EE, as the contract supplier, carries a responsibility and they are not either helping me fix the phone, or offering an alternative. If EE needs to change it’s relationship with Apple that should be between the two companies.

Sent from my iPad
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Dorothea1800 

If it's out of warranty then it's your responsibility. Your service contract is separate.

You either need to live with it, replace it (maybe with a PAYG handset) or pay for repair.

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

The Consumer Rights Act, on Sale of Goods Act 1979, means the contract is between EE/ their consumer (me) and an SE/iPhone that won’t last for the length of the contract is not fit for purpose. My phone (along with many other SE/6) do not last for the length of the contract - other customers have this problem, I know three.

A contract implies it will last for the term of the contract so I am entitled for the phone to be repaired/replaced by EE as my service provider.

I have tried asking very nicely on the phone/in store but am being passed from pillar to post.

I really, really need a reliable phone at the moment being a vulnerable person and being responsible for another.

As a long term customer, for over 20 years, I really hope EE can help me.

Sent from my iPhone
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dorothea1800   If the device is faulty then after 6 months it’s down to you to provide a independent report at your own cost to prove the device was like this when you got it.  

Apple warranty is 12 months and it’s not down to EE to extend that warranty.  That’s why insurance is recommend. 

please read THIS   Item 4,  or  THIS 

its the consumer rights act of 2015 as you got this device after 2015. 

the sale of goods act of 1979 is not in use anymore as it was replaced by the above on the 1st of October 2015. 

the amount of time you’ve been a customer will have no influence on EE helping you as everyone who been a long time customer will want the same if they have an issue.  It’s the same rule for all.     And that rule is the consumer rights act. 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator
Solution

I was going to...let it go...but asked if responses were ‘helpful’ so what I have learnt is as follows:

you get a phone that works with a one year warranty and a two year contract

three weeks after one year Apple slow it down to prolong life (or possibly promote sales) 

the phone starts cutting out randomly (meanwhile Apple gets fined a paltry sum)

you are now out of warranty but your contract is with EE who are not responsible because you didn’t get the insurance that may not have been available until the summer after you got the phone - according to an employee of EE

so you learn that, as a loyal customer, you are piggy in the middle and it’s all your fault

that selling something that isn’t fit for purpose is fine - that the phone having it’s brain remotely messed with is fine - that not taking out insurance, that possibly you didn’t know you needed (after all it may not have been available and needing insurance for the contract period by extension implies the system is shoddy) is your own stupid fault 

that now I probably have to buy a new phone or suck up the extra costs 

that at no point has anyone offered to look at the phone in depth because neither company want to deal with the elephant in the system 

so, terrible film but good message (‘Liar, Liar’) I have to take it up the **** like an imp****t jerk

as such then yes, the advice has been most helpful, thank you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Dorothea1800

I'm sorry to see that you're not happy with the responses you've had or with the situation you're in.

Have you spoken to our Tech Gurus or Mobile Care team about your options? I understand you've already been given information about insurance, warranty and repair.

There may be an option to upgrade early, depending on how far you are into your contract or which plan you're on.

If you would like to make a complaint, you can find information on how to do so on our make a complaint help page.

Chris

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Dorothea1800   The phone was fit for purpose when you got it.  My iPhone is 2 and half years old now and I don’t have insurance on it and I take that risk.   And yes I’m in another 2 year contract with the same phone I got 2+ years ago and knowing that I still have to pay for the contract if I have a device issue. 

slowing the device down is so it doesn’t randomly shutdown as your battery has degraded.   It’s to get the most out of the device. 

The warranty on the device is nothing to do with your contract with EE that you agreed to pay each month until the minimum term.  The decision not to take out insurance at the time of purchase was your decision. 

Who will pay the cost for someone to look at your device?  You can give it to EE for them to send of for it to look at and to give you a price on fixing it but it will not be fixed for nothing.   And you’ll probably find a recondition one on eBay for a cheaper price than what you have to pay to get this fixed. 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Slowing it down means it DOES randomly black out even when it shows a decent charge - so it’s a flawed idea, which has failed and makes it unreliable.

As I said I will have to suck up the cost or get another phone - I know that. It doesn’t make it right, as I have not caused the issue.

I’m NOT replying to anything else as if people read everything I’d written they would not say what they do... I shut down the conversation this morning

I really, really need a reliable phone...

Sent from my iPhone

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.