by bazooka-joe Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Moving Apple Watch sim plan to a new watch

So the new iPhones and Apple watches are on their way and I just want to check something.

I have a ceramic series 3 with an LTE plan that has worked flawlessly from day one.

When I sell my series 3 watch to buy the new series 4, I will need to unpair my

series 3 from my phone so that I can pair it to the S4 using the same settings and LTE sim Plan that I have for my current watch.

I am not sure how the LTE sim plan works and how I can transfer from one watch to another. So when the unpairing process asks me if I want to keep the data plan, do I say yes so that the data plan is saved so that it will transfer to the new watch or do I say no to ensure that it doesn’t remain assigned to my S3 when I sell it on. 

14 REPLIES 14
by NickH16 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: Moving Apple Watch sim plan to a new watch

@bazooka-joe wrote:

So the new iPhones and Apple watches are on their way and I just want to check something.

I have a ceramic series 3 with an LTE plan that has worked flawlessly from day one.

When I sell my series 3 watch to buy the new series 4, I will need to unpair my

series 3 from my phone so that I can pair it to the S4 using the same settings and LTE sim Plan that I have for my current watch.

I am not sure how the LTE sim plan works and how I can transfer from one watch to another. So when the unpairing process asks me if I want to keep the data plan, do I say yes so that the data plan is saved so that it will transfer to the new watch or do I say no to ensure that it doesn’t remain assigned to my S3 when I sell it on. 

Yeah just say save data and then when you set up the new watch it will give you the option to continue on with the same data plan 

Established Contributor

Ok great. I thought that might be the case. 

Established Contributor

Apple support page says to remove the plan.

”Tap Unpair Apple Watch. For Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular), tap Remove [Carrier] Plan. If you aren't going to pair with a different Apple Watch or iPhone, you might need to contact your carrier to cancel your cellular subscription.*  

Established Contributor

Spoke to EE and they said not to keep the plan and set a new plan up for the new watch,.  I wasnt convinced by that so I spoke to Apple and they say to keep the plan when unpairing and it will be there when pairing to the new watch and as you say, it may just require a call to EE to register the new IMEI number.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bazooka-joe,

You'll need to keep your current plan when you complete the unpairing process.

Then, when you pair your new watch, you'll be prompted to call customer services after selecting that you want to use your current plan.

Thanks

James

by emma829 Investigator
Investigator

What you fail to mention is that it will take 48 hours to transfer over the eSIM so cellular functionality cannot be used in this time.

by

Hi there @emma829

Thanks for posting.

Have you transferred your data plan from another Apple Watch?

This shouldn’t take 48 hours to activate for you, is this being looked into by our technical support team?

Leanne.

by emma829 Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Yes I had a cellular 3 on an EE plan and upgraded to a 4 yesterday.  I have made 3 calls to technical support.  The last one said they had the information they needed the EID that I provided last night so it will be 48 hours until I can use the functionality and the plan is ported over.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Emma

by

Hi @emma829

When you tried pairing your iPhone and Watch, did you have WiFi turned on?

Leanne.

by emma829 Investigator
Investigator

Hi

Yes I will have done.  But then turned it off when I tried to access the data plan part.

Emma

by

Hi @emma829

Thanks for coming back to me.

Did you get an error message at all?

Also, did technical support advise why this would take 48 hours for you?

Leanne,

by emma829 Investigator
Investigator

I originally had an error message saying can’t connect to server. So dang again. They took the EID code. I know get a message saying give the code 019. Which I did and was told they didn’t need that as they had the EID code. And no. I asked and was just told that’s how long it takes. 

by emma829 Investigator
Investigator

I originally had an error message saying can’t connect to server. So rany again. They took the EID code. I now get a message saying give the code 019. Which I did and was told they didn’t need that as they had the EID code. And no. I asked and was just told that’s how long it takes. 

by
EE Community Team

Hi @emma829,

Thanks for coming back with further information.

Depending on your account specific information you would have been given an alternate timescale. 

As long as the technical team have you EID number they will be able to resolve this for you on their systems.

You can contact our live chat team and they will be able to update you on the progress of your registration 🙂

Alex

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions