by Itezcouk Investigator
Investigator

Re: L2TP VPN connectivity

Funny I just moved over to EE on a personal plan from BT. Coincidentally my company also just moved over to EE. 

Im an infrastructure manager and just setup a new Meraki network which uses the LT2P VPN protocol. 

i have an iPhone 11 with duel sim. Personal sim is an esim in the phone and my business is the physical sim.

when I enable data on the personal sim the vpn does not work, looking at the Meraki, I do not even see a handshake or attempt at a connection.

when switching over to using data on my business sim, the VPN works first time every time. 

There is definitely some sort of blocking or issue with L2TP over EE’s network. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Itezcouk.

Welcome to the community.

I'd recommend contacting our Tech Gurus about this, as they will be able to access your account and run through advanced troubleshooting with you.

Let us know how you get on.

Jon

Highlighted
by Johns1985

I had the same problem EE not a clue why it was not working turned out to Be a access point on the network that had a firewall on blocking incoming traffic I still don’t no why it was only blocking mobile data 

by rimatthe Investigator
Investigator

I have beyond doubt proved it but cannot get any form of answer from EE.  VPN works perfect from iphone over WIFI, and other network providers 3 and Vodafone. 

I can put my iphone SIM into a netgear nighthawk M2 and connect the iphone by Wifi to that and that also works so the SIM is OK.  I can only think the APN I am connecting to on the iphone is different and this connection is blocking some part of the service.  I can't tell the APN on the iPhone as these settings are masked by EE.

Very frustrating and will force me to move once out of contract and can take my number

by rimatthe Investigator
Investigator

The other thing to note is the connection works perfectly when roaming international - it just refuses to connect on EE's home network

by davidhaycoxmid Investigator
Investigator

That makes sense. I imagine the networks outside the UK haven’t implemented IPv6, so the problem only occurs here.

Kind Regards,

xxxxx xxxxxx 

[mod edit: please do not post personal information on the public board. Thanks!]

by Itezcouk Investigator
Investigator

Right,

I think I have got to the bottom of this.

check with your VPN vendor that the VPN device you are connecting via supports 

IPv6!!!!!!!

Meraki do not at the moment (which is what I was using)

My Business phone was running on EE on IPv4 

My Person Phone was running on EE on IPv6

Both sims in the same phone (iphone 11 pro dual sim) 

Regards,

Darren

by Itezcouk Investigator
Investigator

Right,

I think I have got to the bottom of this.

check with your VPN vendor that the VPN device you are connecting via supports 

IPv6!!!!!!!

Meraki does not at the moment (which is what I was using)

My Business phone was running on EE on IPv4 

My Personal Phone was running on EE on IPv6

Both sims in the same phone (iPhone 11 pro dual sim) 

Regards,

Darren

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.

Recent solutions