by Matriarch Investigator
Investigator

Iphone 7 not completing connection to BT router

Recently switched to BT broadband and the Iphone accepts the login details to WIFI (tick against the WIFI name) but the phone constantly displays the processing circle and remains on 4G. I have tried Forget This Network, Reset Network Settings, turning phone off/on, turning router off/on, checked the security type on the router is WPA2. Everyone else in the family connects to the router with Samsungs so it's not the router. It does connect to my daughter's WIFI. The phone has not been dropped or damaged. So is there some obscure setting I'm missing?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Investigator
Solution

Re: Iphone 7 not completing connection to BT router

SOLVED

Solved it, so here it is for anyone in a similar situation. I have BitDefender mobile secutiry on my phone and part of that is VPN. Turned off the VPN and I was able to establish a connection to the home WiFi. I haven't tried it with any other WiFi networks or hotspots, but I now will manually connect to VPN when I'm surfing using 4G.

Thank you to those who tried to help me sort this.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Which BT router is it? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Matriarch

Welcome to the community.

Could you try resetting your network settings on the iPhone please?

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings > Follow the on-screen prompts.

Chris

Investigator

Thank you for your reply but I have already done that.

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

OK thanks, @Matriarch

Is your iPhone able to connect to different WiFi connections?

Is your software fully up to date?

Tap Settings > General > Software Update.

Chris

Investigator

Apologies, not BT but Post Office (switched 2 weeks ago). The router has no markings whatsoever but the documentation states Technicolor Gateway. The WiFi specs are 

Wireless Standard
802.11b/g/n 2.4 GHz and 802.11a/n/ac 5 GHz

Wireless

• 802.11ac 5 GHz with 1.3 Gbps data rate
  • 802.11n 2.4 GHz with 300 Mbps
  • Wireless Protected Setup (WPS)
  • WEP data encryption (64/128 bit)
  • WPA/WPA2, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
  • Wi-Fi scheduling
  • Multiple SSID (up to 4)
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Does the router show 2 SSIDs? Have you tried connecting your phone to both of them?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator
Solution

SOLVED

Solved it, so here it is for anyone in a similar situation. I have BitDefender mobile secutiry on my phone and part of that is VPN. Turned off the VPN and I was able to establish a connection to the home WiFi. I haven't tried it with any other WiFi networks or hotspots, but I now will manually connect to VPN when I'm surfing using 4G.

Thank you to those who tried to help me sort this.

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.