by Raffaello2017 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

How much data do I need on an iPad Pro

Hi everyone, could someone advise on how much data I’d need when used in conjunction with WiFi for the new iPad Pro?

This is a list of approximately how much time I spend on my current iPad Mini 3, 90% of the time I’m connected to the WiFi.

Mail and web browsing approximately 3/4 hours daily 

Reading 2.5 hours daily 

Watching Netflix about 2/4 hours 

What I call boredom time about 2/3 hours 

Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: How much data do I need on an iPad Pro

@Raffaello2017  You’ll need lees than 10GB a month probably around 5 but you can always up it if you don’t have enough. Choose a plan that’s got a low data amount and up it if needs be.  When I had a cellular iPad I needed no more than 2GB per month and I didn’t need that much because I was mostly using WiFi.  

It will also depend if your going to watch anything in HD as this will chew through the data.  You can always lower the video quality to use less data though.   

6 REPLIES
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

This is different for each person we can't tell you how much you need.

Brendon (Android Expert)
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Oreo 8.0)
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@Raffaello2017  You’ll need lees than 10GB a month probably around 5 but you can always up it if you don’t have enough. Choose a plan that’s got a low data amount and up it if needs be.  When I had a cellular iPad I needed no more than 2GB per month and I didn’t need that much because I was mostly using WiFi.  

It will also depend if your going to watch anything in HD as this will chew through the data.  You can always lower the video quality to use less data though.   

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Only count the time you are not on WiFi. Then you are not using mobile data.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

@Chris_B Morning @Chris_B thanks for the advice your solution seems to be the best one to go with...

Thanks @XRaySpeX and @BrendonH for your input into my question...

by Maestro
Maestro

Netflix is pretty good at not using huge amounts of mobile data when streaming without compromising the video quality....unlike like Sky Go which eats through your mobile data Smiley Mad

I have Netflix set to 'Automatic' for mobile data usage and video quality set to 'Higher' and even then 1 x 1 hour episode uses <500Mb of data.

Established Contributor

@jmitchel I’ve used Netflix on data with my iPhone X quite a lot, but never really checked the usage as I have 100GB + +. Anyway I’ll see how it goes I placed my order at 09:52 UK time, for the new iPad Pro 11” in Space Grey...

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.