by nickk Investigator
Investigator

Here's the returns pack for my Annual Upgrade

I'm expected to put my iPhone X in the suppied enverlope, put the sticker on it and hope for the best.

Seriously, who at EE thought it would be OK for customers to do that? Who in their right mind would expect a phone to come out the other end of Royal Mail (or any courier) in the condition it was sent in using this?

I was told that it wouldn't cost me anything, either. Turns out you can send it for free, using an uninsured 2 day postage, with you taking all the liability Smiley LOL

IMG_0005.jpegIMG_0212.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: Here's the returns pack for my Annual Upgrade

Hi @nickk

I would package it up yourself with bubble wrap and a jiffy envelope & using the returns label.

I would also send it Royal Mail Special delivery I know thats additional cost to yourself but then you got peace of mind.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Most of the trade-in companies are pretty much the same.  It's only ever free for the un-insured delivery and very few of them actually provide you with adequate packaging.

That packaging is totally inadequate for sending a handset through the post which contains a lithium battery Smiley Mad

If you do use your own packaging, that UN 3481 sticker MUST be attached.  There should also technically be some inner-packaging as well i.e. the handset should be placed in a plastic bag.

Anything shipped containing a lithium battery now comes under the limited quantity carriage of dangerous goods regulations. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nickk.  Make sure you take photos of the device be you send it in.   This includes the IMEI number that you can find in settings>general>about on the device.  If anything happens to your device while in postage you’ll might need to prove them them the state it was in before it was in the post.   Cover yourself in case it gets damaged. 

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

What EE needs is a dedicated network of places around the UK in places where people shop, where you pop in and hand your phone in and they check it there in person.

by nickk Investigator
Investigator

What EE needs is a dedicated network of places around the UK in places where people shop, where you pop in and hand your phone in and they check it there in person.

@chistery I believe that's how you used to do it, via an EE store, and this year they've opened it to telephone and online live chat, but if you do the former, its via the post with EE's contracter, Brightstar.

by nickk Investigator
Investigator

@nickk.  Make sure you take photos of the device be you send it in.   This includes the IMEI number that you can find in settings>general>about on the device.  If anything happens to your device while in postage you’ll might need to prove them them the state it was in before it was in the post.   Cover yourself in case it gets damaged. 

@Chris_B Yes, I will do. I've sold a good few high-end phones online when I've upgraded over the years and always take detailed pictures.

It just beggars belief that EE wouldn't have the wherewithal to ensure annual upgrade customers aren't supplied an appropate returns box to send their phones off with, bearing in mind that these customers have paid a premium for the option and are then kept in an expensive contract going forward. I would have thought EE would go a little further to ensure they're ongoing customer had their liability limited as much as possible.

Instead they have the customer dealing with a third-party company who you have to hope plays ball.

I just posted it as its laughable how anyone would ever consider using that supplied evenverlope for anyting other than donating an unsellable phone. Brightstar might as well save themselves the cost of including it.

Edit: as @Profile closed points out, its also totally inadequate to put a lithium ion battery in the post with so little protection.

by NickH16 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I had the same issue ring bright star and they send you a special pack for tablet 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.