by EE Community Manager
EE Community Manager

Getting the new iPhone 8 or iPhone X? Here’s what to do with your old one

If you’ve ordered or already have iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or the iPhone X, you may be thinking about what to do with your old phone. That’s if you can contain your excitement.

If you haven’t already, order now

As you wait for your shiny new iPhone, we know your current phone can start to look like an ancient relic that belongs in a museum. But there are all sorts of ways you can put it to good use.

Recycle and reward

Dispose of your old phone in a secure and environmentally safe way, and earn a bit of cash while you do it, with our recycle and reward scheme.

Just visit our recycle and reward site, tell us what phone you want to sell, answer a few questions, and then send us your phone. Once we’ve got it, we’ll send you a cheque, or even transfer the money into your bank.

Go SIM only

If you want to keep your phone a little closer to home, why not give it to a friend or family member? That way, you get brownie points and your phone gets to live another day.

And with our SIM only deals offering loads of data, calls, texts and EU roaming, you’ll give your old phone a new lease of life. 

Top tip: Remember Apple iOS11

The more eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed a cool new feature in iOS11, the latest operating system from Apple.

It’s called automatic setup, and it lets you transfer things like passwords, settings and preferences from one iPhone to another just by holding them next to each other.

So, remember to update to iOS11 on your current iPhone so you can easily transfer your stuff once your new iPhone arrives.

Read our other tips on preparing for your new iPhone >

What else can you do with your old phone? Let us know any hints, tips and advice in the comments below!

Community guidelines Community stars programme

Meet the EE Community teamHow to use the community
2 REPLIES
by arpanshah1990
Explorer

Re: Getting the new iPhone 8 or iPhone X? Here’s what to do with your old one

Use it as security camera. If you don't want to sell it

by JackoSenior
Visitor

Re: Getting the new iPhone 8 or iPhone X? Here’s what to do with your old one

Apple offered me £60 for my 5s when I upgraded to Iphone X. I sold my 5s to a friend who already has a 5s - he said it was cheaper to buy this one and keep it as a spare than it was to insure his. And it was insured against everything, of course...

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.