by D2207 Investigator
Investigator

Extra Charges for calling a German mobile

Hi Ya: 

Am a new member of the EE community, recently i called a German mobile phone number while being in Scotland (UK), and before doing this, i called the Customer service for EE to clearly make sure that i can call the number for free without any charge as i do have unlimited minutes in my allowance. The customer service i had at that moment clearly confirmed to me that YES i could call the number after reading it out, without me getting charged. Later this evening, i checked at my EE mobile APP and to my greatest surprise i was been charged a £60 for 71mins. 

Am totally gutted with this, and i want to find out if there is anything i could do for this.

Thanks in advance, to anyone trying to help out.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Re: Extra Charges for calling a German mobile

Hello @D2207 the information you were given is not correct. Calling abroad from the UK is not included in your minutes allowances and is chargeable:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/calling-abroad-from-the-uk

13 REPLIES 13
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hello @D2207 the information you were given is not correct. Calling abroad from the UK is not included in your minutes allowances and is chargeable:

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/call-or-going-abroad/calling-abroad-from-the-uk

by D2207 Investigator
Investigator

So that implies there is nothing i can do for regarding this charge ? I guess the calls we do with the customer service are recorded right? Cause they can check or have a listening session back, the customer advisor at that time clearly told me that i can call without being charged, should he have said NO! I wouldnt have called.

by D2207 Investigator
Investigator

So that implies there is nothing i can do for regarding this charge ? I guess the calls we do with the customer service are recorded right? Cause they can check or have a listening session back, the customer advisor at that time clearly told me that i can call without being charged, should he have said NO! I wouldnt have called. 

Thats totally unprofessional if the advisor knows that, i will be charged yet he told me a different story.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

As the information that was given to you is incorrect you can make a formal complaint to EE:

http://ee.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/security/ways-to-complain

I hope you are able to reach an amicable resolution with them.

by D2207 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks! I will drop in a formal complain.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

It depends on how you approach CS. This is basis stuff so EE CS should have known the answer if you asked the right question. Then again if you asked

• Can I call German on my plan?  - The answer is Yes 
  • Or
  • Can I call Germany on my plan and will it cost me anything more? - The answer is Yes

So two questions, same answer. 

Unless you recorded the call then it's not clear cut as simply saying EE CS gave you the wrong advice. 

How you approach this us up to you but my advice is to stay calm and maybe they will wipe the charges if this is a one off genuine error, but this isn't garunteed. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

There may be nowt you can do about this particular charge but for the future you should text CALL ABROAD to 150 for a free add-on giving you cheaper-than-standard rates for International calls & texts from UK.

Under this the call you made would have cost £10.65.

For full prices have a look at Free call abroad from the UK add-on .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by D2207 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks to you guys. I just had the CS on the phone they understood what went wrong and yet we came to an amicable conclusion. The charge will appear on my billing but wouldn’t be taken from my account only the normal monthly bill. Like I said this wasn’t my fault caused I approached the CS in the normal way as it should be read out the number clearly after the CS had access into my account.

Thanks for your help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@D2207 wrote:

The charge will appear on my billing but wouldn’t be taken from my account only the normal monthly bill.

I wouldn't believe that unless an equal rebate appears on the same bill. The bill is the bill & is what's charged.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

You are welcome. I am glad to hear they were able to help waive the charge for you.

The community is here anytime if there is anything else you would like to know.

🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Hello @D2207

Welcome to the Community. Smiley Happy

Can I ask, are you a personal or business customer?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @D2207,

Welcome to the community.

Thanks for the update, I'm happy customer services were able to help. Smiley Happy

James

by D2207 Investigator
Investigator

Personal Customer. I was so glad when they told me, the charges will appear on my billing list but it will not be deducted from my bank account. Again that wasn't my fault and all calls to the CS are always recorded for traning purposes and verification. So i didn't have to record that.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.